Rebellin Finished says Smith

Gazzetta67
Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
edited April 2009 in Pro race
How we Laughed at yesterdays Fleche Wallone - Eh i dont think we will see rebellin do anything again. he`s on the way down says the "Parochial" smith !!!! Bang a 37 year old leaves the rest for dead. Keep the Jokes coming brian - Bernard manning has nothing on you :lol:

Comments

• stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    A bit unfair on Brian Smith there.

Firstly he's one of a very rare breed of commentators who is prepared to give forthright opinions on riders, teams and tactics irrespective of nationality. A refreshing change this season.

Secondly his comments on Rebellin were about his age + the likelihood of a performance of that quality this year. He talked very positively of him as a rider and as a professional passing on his experience to the younger riders. It was just a question of whether DR could still do it at 37.

The fact that DR won in such great and unexpected style should be applauded not used as the basis to attack Smith for some very logical comments.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    I wonder what Gianni Savio will be writing about in next month's ProCycling...? :lol:
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • claudb
    claudb Posts: 212
    Yes, Brian experiences "The Curse of the Commentator" but please do not let this undermine the "Breath of Fresh Air" that Brian has provided on Eurosport this year. There are few with so much experience and inside knowledge of the sport who are as good as imparting it simply, clearly, and entertainingly. I think Brian's biggest tribute must be how he "Tamed" Duffers during a couple of stages of the Tour of Turkey. They seemed to get on well but, more importantly, DD did not embark on so many Babbles as he seemed eager to hand over to Brian to explain what was going on. It was the first time for years I have not felt like muting the sound during a DD commentary.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Bit of a strange thing to do - starting a thread slating a commentator because he got a race prediction wrong - I think he's doing a good job as a pundit - I still want to hear Brian and Kelly together if only for an hour in the middle of a tour stage just to see how it goes with two pundits and no commentator.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Look on the bright side, if it was Duffield you'd have had a commentary on the local cheese made near Huy, if it was David Smith, he'd struggle to name the Diquigiovanni rider :wink:

Just goes to show you can't ever rule a rider out, especially one who races so intelligently all the time, tactically Rebellin is very clever. I think he tapped his head as he crossed the line as if to say "I used my brain".
    pottssteve wrote:
    I wonder what Gianni Savio will be writing about in next month's ProCycling...? :lol:
    You mean Gianni Friebe :wink:
  • BrianS
    BrianS Posts: 112
    Yip....hands up! I got it wrong....

I was fortunate to talk with Rebellin when the CTT was being put together. He was very passionate about helping others more than himself and thought he may not be able be the same force in races like this. I thought he was trying to help Scarponi but the old dog still has it. There aren't many guys at his age doing this. Total respect for him. I thought the young generation were coming through but looks like a few of the older guys still want to hang around.

Thanks for the comments :)
  • Kléber
    Credit to Briain for explaining things, even when he called it wrong. Thanks.
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    More a case of "Rebellin Finished Says Rebellin" :wink:
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    Brian : - any chance you could tell us who is not going to win L-B-L this weekend so I can pop down the bookies...... :lol:
  • BrianS
    camerone wrote:
    Brian : - any chance you could tell us who is not going to win L-B-L this weekend so I can pop down the bookies...... :lol:

Valverde :wink:
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    I had Valverde for Fleche Wallone! :roll:
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • BrianS wrote:
    camerone wrote:

No disrespect Brian, but what I really want to know is who Sean thinks will win...
  • BrianS
    BrianS wrote:
    camerone wrote:

No disrespect Brian, but what I really want to know is who Sean thinks will win...

none taken...you will need to email europsort when the race is on to ask Sean.
  • BrianS wrote:
    none taken...you will need to email europsort when the race is on to ask Sean.

Hmm, does that leave me enough time to get down the bookies?
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    French channel Sport+ has had Cyrille Guimard on as a pundit a few times this year and if you want to know how a race will go down, he's the man! I kid you not, the moment the early break went in Gent-Wevelgem, he called out Boasson-Hagen's name. If you want to clean up at the bookies this year, his email address is the one you want.
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    BrianS wrote:
    camerone wrote:

luckily the local Coral hadnt heard of the race! i did pop valverde on PTP on this site. I guess lightening doesnt strike twice :?
    piy ES not covering Romandie.........
  • BrianS
    camerone wrote:
    BrianS wrote:
    camerone wrote:

luckily the local Coral hadnt heard of the race! i did pop valverde on PTP on this site. I guess lightening doesnt strike twice :?
    piy ES not covering Romandie.........

Who is not going to win! Valverde. He will struggle to win anything at the moment.

Covering Romandie with ctv. Don't know if it is accessible in the UK.
  • SunWuKong
    SunWuKong Posts: 364
    Maybe Brian knew something we didn't at the time :shock:
  • allaction
    allaction Posts: 209
    I suspect Brian didn't know he was on the juice! Keep up the good work on the box Brian, a very enjoyable season of classics has been made very very enjoyable thanks to you and Sean.
  • 16simon
    16simon Posts: 154
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    How we Laughed at yesterdays Fleche Wallone - Eh i dont think we will see rebellin do anything again. he`s on the way down says the "Parochial" smith !!!! Bang a 37 year old leaves the rest for dead. Keep the Jokes coming brian - Bernard manning has nothing on you :lol:

hold that thought....
  • Allez Mark
    Allez Mark Posts: 364
    allaction wrote:
    Keep up the good work on the box Brian, a very enjoyable season of classics has been made very very enjoyable thanks to you and Sean.

+1 for that.

As someone who is getting back into cycling after a long absence. I've really enjoyed all of the coverage on Eurosport this year.
  • weeve
    weeve Posts: 393
    Well I guess we know more tomorrow with the IOC report on the (A only) sample. Strange old world....wait for the "I knew it was too good to be true" pundits. Mind you when I was 37 I said no to drugs ...so perhaps he is clean.....although admittedly for me it was because the Mrs said I was too old to go to Ibiza :)
  • claudb
    claudb Posts: 212
    They think it's all over - It is Now !!!!!
  • It's about time. He fits into the successful mid-90s italian rider criteria. :P
  • Kléber
    It's about time. He fits into the successful mid-90s italian rider criteria. :P
    Like Simoni, eh? :?
  • Precisely :P