Wales Dragon Sportive and Garmin 705

sampras38
sampras38 Posts: 1,917
Has anyone managed to put the 2009 route on their garmin 705 yet without Memory Map, or has anyone plotted the route a different way, say with BikerouteToaster?

I don't actually use Memory Map and would welcome any tips or a workaround.

Thanks

Comments

• sampras38
    OK, what do people think of this?

http://www.cyclosport.org/eventdetails. ... entid=1037

They want to charge £29 for the privalidge of downloading the route. Surely you could use the info to plot your own route on BikeRouteToaster?

Or am I missing something?
  • Nah - £29 was the entry fee for the ride - the download links are at the bottom of the page.
  • sampras38
    Nah - £29 was the entry fee for the ride - the download links are at the bottom of the page.

OMG...so it is.

My apologies Cyclesport..;-)
  • Is it actually the 2009 course on Cyclesport though? Quite often the GPX files are from a previous year...
  • sampras38
    Is it actually the 2009 course on Cyclesport though? Quite often the GPX files are from a previous year...

It's 2008 I think, but it'll be very similar. I was going to use it for a trial run as I'm down in Wales in a few weeks. Just to give me an idea.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,222
    The provisional route on the website has a very different first section, going out towards Lllantrisant and Tonyrefail before joinging back up with that route.
  • sampras38
    The provisional route on the website has a very different first section, going out towards Lllantrisant and Tonyrefail before joinging back up with that route.

Yeah, you're right. I think I'll try and create my own using BikeRouteToaster. I'm more interested in seeing what the climbs are like tbh, so as long as I plot them correctly I should be ok, at least to get a feel?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,222
    I've just watched a bit of the videos on the cyclosport website, and think I'm going to have to go up Leith Hill a few more times before the Dragon Ride!
  • sampras38
    I've just watched a bit of the videos on the cyclosport website, and think I'm going to have to go up Leith Hill a few more times before the Dragon Ride!

I've done a few rides round Box Hill of late and a few of those are worse than the Dragon Hills in terms of gradiant, but Dragon will go on for longer. I'll post back when I've done my dummy run. Either way...really looking forward to it. I've put enough hours of training in so it should be fine.

I hope...;-)
  • bprice
    bprice Posts: 61

Yes, the new bit heads east to Llantrisant forest. It climbs a bit then you descend down to the Ely valley road, left at the roundabout onto the A4093, this bit is quite lumpy in parts. Once you get to Blackmill turn right and the route is as previous years.

If anyone hasnt done the Dragon before, and to be honest, this will be my first attempt; although I have done several chunks of it over the last few months, the climb of the Bwlch the second time round should prove interesting. It must rank as one of the longest climbs Ive ever done. And this has to be negotiated after 90 - 100 miles have already been ridden. Im keeping an energy gel handy for this one!
  • sampras38
    bprice wrote:

Yes, the new bit heads east to Llantrisant forest. It climbs a bit then you descend down to the Ely valley road, left at the roundabout onto the A4093, this bit is quite lumpy in parts. Once you get to Blackmill turn right and the route is as previous years.

If anyone hasnt done the Dragon before, and to be honest, this will be my first attempt; although I have done several chunks of it over the last few months, the climb of the Bwlch the second time round should prove interesting. It must rank as one of the longest climbs Ive ever done. And this has to be negotiated after 90 - 100 miles have already been ridden. Im keeping an energy gel handy for this one!

Humm, sounds interesting..;-)