Peak District all dayer?

Mancunianfightingcat
Mancunianfightingcat Posts: 2,054
edited May 2009 in Routes
Has anyone got any suggestions for an all day ride in the Peaks? I've only been that way once before and did 27 miles and really enjoyed it. I'm after a 30-35ish mile route with plenty of good technical downhills and challenging climbs, with as little Tarmac as possible please. Any suggestions? I've got Memory Map if anyone's got gps routes.
Cheers.

Comments

• punctureboy
    punctureboy Posts: 217
    the jacobs ladder route near edale is a cracker. its only about 25 miles but a quick scan over a map and you'll eaily be able to add on extras. maybe follow the pennine bridleway for a bit. do the main route clockwise to minimise pushing time, and to ride down jacobs ladder
  • deadliest
    deadliest Posts: 471
    This would be a fantastic ride especially with the weather as it is, Cut Gate has some awesome singletrack.

DSC00427.jpg

Here is a link to the Trail

http://www.mountainbikerides.co.uk/routes/twogates.htm

Hope this suits your requirements have a great day up there but be prepared for a grueller.
    Bikes are drugs and Im pedalling

http://sherwoodpines.yolasite.com/
  • That looks like it could be a winner! Cheers for that :D,

but,

any other suggestions??
  • I did the Glossop - Cut Gate - Doctors Gate route last weekend. It was excellent. 67km long with 1700m of ascent. Do it now while the weather is good.
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Cutgate is in great condition as well, rode theere yesterday (out and back from Langsett to Slippery stones) Dry and dusty means quite sketchy on the last drop down to Slippery stones :D
    Best bet would be to get the guide book True Grit MTB'ing in the Dark Peak and see what they suggest, so many class routes up there- I'm not overly familiar with the area and ride with a mate who does know it well Tie in classic Ladybower with a trip up Mam Torr down Rushup edge and over to Cavedale and then back again- 27 miles IIRC with sommat like 5500 ft of ascent and some of the best descents on the Peak- Cavedale is a cracker and really is best when the weather is this good as its a limestone descent and slippery when wet.
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Ladybower over to Jacobs ladder and back is a BIG day out.I could do you a memory map route and e-mail it if you want.Loads of climbing and top descents.Inc Rushup edge/Roych clough,Jacobs ladder,The beast of Hope cross,Suicide brake.Some killer climbs aswell.Bout 30 miles IIRC,PM me if you want the file.
  • Im working my way through these... http://www.mtbsharp.co.uk/routes/peaks/dark_peak/index.html

Did the jacobs ladder one the other week and really enjoyed it, even tho i came off half way down the ladder :lol:

I wouldnt advise going down cavedale when its wet tho, thats just asking for a month off work...
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Only ever been down Cavedale wet! Its a touch mad tho, was a dry day when I last did it, but typical water running down the trail. Mate of mine fell of right at the end just before you pop out into the village! :lol:
    In fact, next time an elusive mate is coming for a ride I might just go down there with him just to see his reaction to it!
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • topsey_turvey
    topsey_turvey Posts: 420
    Cavedale in the wet? It's like ice! Not for the faint hearted. It's bad enough in the dry.
    Frank Yates
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Im working my way through these... http://www.mtbsharp.co.uk/routes/peaks/dark_peak/index.html

Did the jacobs ladder one the other week and really enjoyed it, even tho i came off half way down the ladder :lol:

I wouldnt advise going down cavedale when its wet tho, thats just asking for a month off work...
    Avoid "The Edge"route,apart from The Edge bit being unrideable the route is on FPs and The edge isn't even a FP its a "permissable path"MTB# has quite a few routes(not just in the Peak)that are "less than legal to ride".Most are fine though 8)
    Cavedale in the wet? It's like ice! Not for the faint hearted. It's bad enough in the dry.
    Its fun though,especially in the wet :D
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    I've got a good 'un round part of the White Peak - you can start in Bakewell, Eyam or Baslow. I've probably got your e-mail address somewhere but if you'll PM me I'll send you a route map.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Well, we ended up doing the route that Ibbo68 sent me. We added a bit to it to include a downhill I'd missed out last time. Total was about 36 miles and it did indeed take in all the big climbs and downhills. Not too many walkers about early on, but by 1pm the hills were crawling with them. To be fair though, all but 1 group were very obliging and stepped to the side once they'd realized we were there.

Absolutely fantastic day out and the weather was very kind too!
  • mccmarc
    mccmarc Posts: 57
    this sounds top notch

when are we off
  • topsey_turvey
    dave_hill wrote:
    I've got a good 'un round part of the White Peak - you can start in Bakewell, Eyam or Baslow. I've probably got your e-mail address somewhere but if you'll PM me I'll send you a route map.

Any chance of a copy here?
    Frank Yates
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    dave_hill wrote:

Any chance of a copy here?

On its way...
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • topsey_turvey
    Just arrived, thank you.
    Frank Yates