Princes Risborough Sportive & GPS.....

akkers
akkers Posts: 140
Hi,

Has anyone else who has entered the PR Sportive for this weekend tried downloading the GPS routes sent out? I downloaded it to my Garim 705, but when I tried to then load it, it gets to about 10% and swtiches the unit off. Tried it 3 times with the same result.

Wandered if anyone else had the same issue??

Comments

• I've had this before but not for a while. Have you got the latest firmware loaded in the Garmin? It's one of the bugs that has been fixed.

I have also had this before and can't remember what I did to get around it, I haven't seen the problem since the last update.
  • akkers
    Hi
    Managed to load firmware 2.60 and its now downloaded.
    However when I download the Mid route, its only 65km, but the course is supposed to be 95km???
    Any idea why it doesnt give the full distance/route? Also the first 40-50km o turn by turn show up as 0 in terms of distance.
  • Hello. Is it a GPX course that you've downloaded? If so then try converting it to a TCX course (Traning centre route). I'm wondering if the route is truncated due to a 100 way point limit on the device.

Using Courses there is effectively no limit, but you won't get turn by turn navigation (which I can't stand personally...). You might be able to convert the files online here...

http://www.gpsies.com/convert.do

I'd love a copy of the routes (Med and Long) if you feel so inclined by the way (GPX is fine..) ;-)

If you get really stuck, PM me and I'll check/convert them using Tracklogs.
  • Hi Akkers

We haven't had any reports of particular problems - in fact I've only had one email concerning issues with the GPS files, and that was something different.

I try and provide as many formats as possible in the file archive, and the Readme file has some handy conversion links, but the number of different formats and devices available does make the whole GPS and digital mapping issue a bit of a frikkin' minefield! There are TCX and CRS files in the archive too, so you have a few options to try and import.

magliaceleste - the routes aren't secret! They're on our website, and you can download kmz files using the button at the bottom of the page :D
    Martin

trailbreak.co.uk
    southernsportive.com
  • akkers
    Thanks guys.....as I said, Ive managed to download the file to my Edge 705, but the total distance is only 65km and the first part of the route shows up at 0km in terms of distance.

i contacted Garmin direct about this, and they suggested it might be because using it at home when I am nowhere near the route itself might be the reason. As I get closer to the route it will lock onto the actual route for the day and give more accurate distances etc.

Anyone else come across that? When your far from a route it wont make much sense when you open it as a saved ride on your GPS unit, but when you get to the actual starting poitn everythings fine?

I must say I did the Burgess Hill classis, and I saved it manually as I rode the route myself....but when I try and download it at home I get the same thing.....first 40-50km are 0km in terms of distance (although the overall distance of 86km is correct)
  • magliaceleste - the routes aren't secret! They're on our website, and you can download kmz files using the button at the bottom of the page :D

Doh! I saw the maps but just didn't notice the button. :oops:

By the way I've PM'd you about one of your Sportives I entered..thanks.
  • akkers wrote:
    Thanks guys.....as I said, Ive managed to download the file to my Edge 705, but the total distance is only 65km and the first part of the route shows up at 0km in terms of distance.

i contacted Garmin direct about this, and they suggested it might be because using it at home when I am nowhere near the route itself might be the reason. As I get closer to the route it will lock onto the actual route for the day and give more accurate distances etc.

Anyone else come across that? When your far from a route it wont make much sense when you open it as a saved ride on your GPS unit, but when you get to the actual starting poitn everythings fine?

I must say I did the Burgess Hill classis, and I saved it manually as I rode the route myself....but when I try and download it at home I get the same thing.....first 40-50km are 0km in terms of distance (although the overall distance of 86km is correct)

First I've heard of that - I guess it depends how the unit gets it's geo-data though. Does it get served with data for the area you're in, or is all the mapping data you own permanently stored in the unit? Let me know how you get on with it on the day.

Magliaceleste - got your PM. That's all cool, I'll sort that out for you next week.
    Martin

trailbreak.co.uk
    southernsportive.com