Anyone work in the industry?

Rawlikesushi
Rawlikesushi Posts: 7
edited April 2009 in The Crudcatcher
I was wondering if anyone could help me out.

I am bored out of my skull at work and have been for a year or so. I've been looking for a change in career for a long while but my degree and current job seem to have left me talentless, completely unskilled and inexperienced in anything remotely exciting. So.....

I was wondering if anyone knew how to begin working in the mountainbiking industry? Does anyone have a job like "frame graphic designer", "trail builder" or "helmet tester", etc and can tell me the best way to go about looking?

Cheers guys.

Comments

• :lol: @ helmet tester, not a job i'd apply for even if the money was good!

Maybe ask at your LBS, or do some surfing to see if Evans/Orange/Specialized et al offer employment oppertunities?!
    Newbie with a Felt Q720

A day where you don't learn something is a waste...
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I'd work on the skill thing first. Think about what you are good at and develop it - re-train. Fitting MTB'ing into it shouldn't really be your first concern IMO.

Anyway retail is the obvious answer in the short term I guess....but is it really much different from any other shop?
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Mike Deere
    Mike Deere Posts: 4,259
    Yeah you need to sort out a skill before you decide on an industry.

What is our degree in?
  • Degree is in Graphic Design, but i dont really wanna get into that. i lost the love for it after spending 3 years training. dont think it was for me.

I'm just after a way of landing a job that seems like i'm not really at work. its my dream.
    I was inspired after chatting to this guy on the weekend who worked for an adventure travel company. His job was to research and trial expeditions around the world so that the company could then include them as options in brochures. he would then accompany the tourists on the trips.

Or maybe it wasnt and he was just trying chatting me up. although i dont think it was a gay bar......

I just figured that there are a few big bike companies out there and it must be someones job to decide what colour specialized's new range is going to be!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    These people have usually worked in the trade - as mehcanics, retail assistants then worked there way up.

I'd try your LBS, see if there is anywork there, get good at what you do and take it from there.
  • soy_sauce
    soy_sauce Posts: 987
    how about start your own company? like custome paint design for bike or car frame.
    its no point of wasting the 3 years of training you got. use it WITH something you love.
    "It is not impossible, its just improbable"

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    Don't intend on living well, or even particularly comfortably.

There's bugger all money in mountain biking, unless you can somehow get near the top of a huge company like Specialized.