Racing rain coats

curlyrobert
curlyrobert Posts: 150
edited April 2009 in Pro race
I have noticed that during a rainy race all pro riders throw on odd jackets with no branding and the peleton becomes hard to distinguish.

that is the bit to place my topic in this forum, what I really want o know is which rain jacket is the best for use in UK sportives. I need one that I can throw in my back pocket until the skies open, It does not need to be gore tex but does need to not be a boil in the bag type.

so breatheability and easy to store are the key requests I guess,

I looked at the pearl izumi optic and the gore alp-x

any suggestions?
the day I stop dreaming of upgrades is the day die!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3370/3261181810_727612440a_o.jpg My Stable

Comments

• hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Do a search at your favourite retailer for race cape.

Not sure if that would be best for your sportive requirements, and I'm not sure who makes the best one - but it is what the pros would wear.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    If you have a number on your jersey it needs to be visible. hence, teams often use those cheap clear capes.
    M.Rushton
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    I have noticed that during a rainy race all pro riders throw on odd jackets with no branding and the peloton becomes hard to distinguish

I looked at the pearl izumi optic and the gore alp-x
    any suggestions?
    What the profis often throw on are just cheap PVC things, cost £20-25, and don’t breathe well - so why they soon take them off.

The Pearl Izumi Optic and the cheaper Gore Alp-X are only a windstoppers, aren’t they? Not really for prolonged rain.
    The Pearl Izumi real rain jacket (Octane) costs about £200, and Gore Alp-X real rain jackets cost about £250!

An acquaintance of mine sold his Pearl Izumi (I don’t know which model) because despite the blurb he reckoned it wasn’t breathing. Also the cut meant it fluttered.

Check out the Vaude Spray (or Spray II for less weight), the adidas adiStar Cps Race, the Gore Oxygen III, all somewhere between £80-140.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Assos Clima Jet
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..