New HT Arrived - Kona Kula Deluxe updated with pics

zerolight
zerolight Posts: 155
edited May 2009 in Your mountain bikes
So, after about 8 years away from cycling, I finally took the plunge and bought a new hard tail. It's the first hard tail I'll have ridden in years, as my preceding bikes years ago were a Gary Fisher Sugar 2 full susser and a Marin Team DH (which was really a mango and white B-17 full susser with posh front shocks). Looking forward to getting back on a bike though.

My 4 year old called me at work to excitedly tell me that my bike has arrived inside a huge box. He'll help me open and assemble it tonight no doubt. Flickr set here, and pictures below.

It's one of these...

http://paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b7s2p1540

... a Kona Kula Deluxe, 2008 model.

3463974688_23a67d1e15.jpg

3463148905_0efd95b691.jpg

3463140505_fe17cc7b30.jpg
Santa Cruz Hightower
Cannondale Supersix Evo Disc

Comments

• adb1006
    adb1006 Posts: 938
    That's a great spec for the dosh! Decided against the Lobster or Malt then - boo :wink::lol:
  • zerolight
    Yeah. Came very close to getting a Giant Anthem X2. But just too far beyond my budget. In the end, the Kona is a better spec than the Malt 4 for less money. I did come close to ordering the RL though.

Paul's site says the brakes are Stroker Trails. The Kona website says they are Stroker Carbons. I think the only difference in the brake lever right enough. I'll find out tonight when I get home.
    Santa Cruz Hightower
  • adb1006
    I would say they were Carbons - the Trails are white and the Carbons are graphite grey - they looks grey to me! Although they could be Kona spec'ed ones that are a different colour or something. But yeah, the only difference as far as i know, other than the colour, is £80 worth of carbon levers!
  • zerolight
    Took it out for an hour or so of road riding last night. First ride in 8 years, so was interesting. Nice bit of saddle sore, lol. Very nice. Much less stretched out riding position than I expected of a hardtail race bike, much more relaxed, even with a 120mm stem. Steering felt nice and sharp too. Had to fiddle with the brake and gear position mid ride, and there's a slight squeak coming from somewhere so need to get the oil out.
    Santa Cruz Hightower
  • adb1006
    Looking good - hope you enjoy it mate :wink:

They are the Carbons then, not the Trails! I would try moving the levers a little more inward though, so you're using one finger to brake with - the further to the edge of the lever you pull, the more leverage you get on it. My mate has actually swapped his over so the shifter is closest to the grip - he has Stroker Carbons and XT shifters like yourself.

The squeek you mention could be (probably is) the brake rotor slightly rubbing the caliper - i get it a lot on mine if i have to take either wheel off - when it goes back on it never seems to go on in quite the same position and i get an annoying squeek! Just slacken off the caliper bolts, tweak the caliper position and then re-tighten - should stop it 8)
  • zerolight
    adb1006 wrote:
    Looking good - hope you enjoy it mate :wink:

They are the Carbons then, not the Trails! I would try moving the levers a little more inward though, so you're using one finger to brake with - the further to the edge of the lever you pull, the more leverage you get on it. My mate has actually swapped his over so the shifter is closest to the grip - he has Stroker Carbons and XT shifters like yourself.

Interesting idea. I might gtry that. Those pictures were taken before I took the bike out. Whilst out, I shifted everything inwards by about an inch which does get the brakes much more comfortable, though the shifters are slightly further away. I may try swapping them around to see how that feels actually. Might be quite nice. Cheers.

I'll let you know if the squeak has gone... I noticed when out last night that both discs were rubbing slightly, so I centered them (as best I could) first thing this morning. A quick 8am tweak. ;) I'll take it out later and see how it feels.

Then I need to tweak the gears... when I stand up to power up a hill it jumps a gear now and then... but there's the tell tale clicking that suggests the cable needs tweaked a little bit... hopefully enough adjustment at the shifter for that.

I was surprised how much time it takes to assemble... and by assemble I just mean putting the handle bars on, setting the saddle, adjusting the shock pressure, and removing all the protective foam, oh and getting the wheels on. Quite a substantial amount of tinkering.
    Santa Cruz Hightower
  • adb1006
    I've just realised - you'll need to remove the gear-index window if you want to run your shifters "outboard" - it's just one or two tiny screws that hold it on and you should have a blanking plate with the shifters somewhere to replace it with.
  • zerolight
    adb1006 wrote:
    I've just realised - you'll need to remove the gear-index window if you want to run your shifters "outboard" - it's just one or two tiny screws that hold it on and you should have a blanking plate with the shifters somewhere to replace it with.

I think I'll just leave it like this for now...

3463987024_9e2cc4a28a.jpg
    Santa Cruz Hightower
  • Nice bike, didn't really like the look of it on the website but seeing your pics it looks alot better in the flesh :)
  • zerolight
    Nice bike, didn't really like the look of it on the website but seeing your pics it looks alot better in the flesh :)

Yeah, the blue is more of a powder blue than the photoshopped metallic blue of the website. I checked it out on someone's flickr and on konabikes.co.uk before deciding to go for it.
    Santa Cruz Hightower
  • zerolight
    adb1006 wrote:

Gah! More money. Had to order the little blanking plates - didn't come with the bike. And of course, at the same time I ordered a shorter 100mm Race Face XC Evolve Stem, and a pair of Lizard Skin Moab Lock Ons. Doh.
    Santa Cruz Hightower
  • Nice beike fella, mine will be arriving from Pauls soon as well.
    One thing, just watch the nipple on the rims. Apparently they are prone to breaking as they are made of brass to reduce weight.
    Just keep check after every ride.
    Not wanting to worry you. Just trying to be safe.
    Otherwise enjoy.
  • zerolight
    Cheers. I'll keep an eye on it. Just finished sticking a Race Face Deus XC 90mm stem (only 39.99) at Evans online. Really sharpens up the handling. Oh and stuck a pair of Odi Rogue Lock on grips on there too. Tempted to replace the girly colour scheme at Xmas with a new frame. We shall see. Really great bike though.
    Santa Cruz Hightower
  • Regal
    Regal Posts: 55
    don spose anyone could help with al ittle advice?

Im in the process of goin mad trying to decide on my first bike in 10 years... allways loved Kona`s... so am prolly leaning that way...
    Im looking at both the 08 Caldera.. and the 08 Kula ... but due to the fact i have no idea whats good and whats not nowadays i dont know if its worth the extra 160 quid for the Kula
    Dont spose anyone would know what the main upgrades are and if its worth it?

Lovin that Kula deelux :) with i could splash 1k on a bike,,,,,, but even the £670 for the standard Kula is already more than i could afford.. lol
  • zerolight
    I don't think there's a huge difference between the two. I think the Kula has a slightly better frame, and the forks are a little better too. Nicer paint job. The gears and brakes the same. There's really not a whole lot in it. The base Kula only gets Alu vs Scandium for the frame on the higher end Kula's so that can't be a justification for the price difference either. However, the base Kula won several group tests in 07 and 08 based on geometry that just works. Worth comparing Geometry between the Caldera and Kula to see how they compare. And weight, if you can.
    Santa Cruz Hightower
  • zerolight
    Outside in the sun.

3494975362_16240bb2eb.jpg

3494972846_9502352349.jpg

3494161609_e242378e7b.jpg
    Santa Cruz Hightower
  • gilbs2709
    gilbs2709 Posts: 3
    Nice bike! I built a Kula Supreme last year (2008), bought a frame from the states on e-bay. It really is a pleasure to ride, a truly classic bike, I think. Was going to say earlier a 90mm stem is just right, I did try a 100mm & 110mm first.
    2004 Kona Cindercone
    2005 Kona King Kikapu
    2008 Kona Kula Supreme
  • zerolight
    The only issue I've had so far is with the quick release skewers on the wheels. They're sh*t. The front one stripped itself within a couple of uses to the point where it doesn't lock properly. Had to buy a pair of Hope skewers just to get out on it yesterday.
    Santa Cruz Hightower
  • adb1006
    How are you finding it now you've flipped the shifters and brake levers? My mate has kept his like this (Stroker Carbons and XT shifters), but i didn't get on with it (Stroker Carbons and X9 shifters), so have had to put mine back. Still got about an inch between the grip and the brake lever though which means i can easily one-finger-brake. Plus i don't keep knocking the bloody shifter like i used to.
  • adb1006
    How are you finding it now you've flipped the shifters and brake levers? My mate has kept his like this (Stroker Carbons and XT shifters), but i didn't get on with it (Stroker Carbons and X9 shifters), so have had to put mine back. Still got about an inch between the grip and the brake lever though which means i can easily one-finger-brake. Plus i don't keep knocking the bloody shifter like i used to.
  • zerolight
    Fine. Very happy with that mod. Brakes are in a much more comfortable place and the gears I've managed to get to a place where I'm fairly happy with them. Not gonna flip it back. The Deus XC stem change was a more significant mod, but very positive too.
    Santa Cruz Hightower