Question about pedaling

scally56
scally56 Posts: 115
edited April 2009 in Road beginners
Hi

Got a question about pedaling. I've got some SPDs and i'm fine with cycling with them in after the first few falls. What i want to know is how to get the most out of them? Do you push and pull with the same leg through out the revolution or do you tend to push and when it tires start pulling?

If you push and pull during the same revolution how do you do it, as i find it extremely strange?

Thanks

Simon

Comments

• tobyker
    tobyker Posts: 7
    Don't push and pull up and down: move the pedal round in a circle. Try at first to complete the bottom part of the circle, dragging the pedal back until it rises - then you can try pushing it forward as it gets to the top. Your leg doesn't work like a car piston and sonnecting rod or like a double-acting steam emgine . It can do more than just push and pull up and down. Use your ankles. I find it easiest to practice when I get to a small rise in the road - instead of changing down a gear, try to keep the power going all the way round. Or something.
  • mapei
    mapei Posts: 17
    To get the feel of it, unclip one foot while riding along steadily, and lift it off to the side, out of the way of the pedal. That way you can pedal with just the one other leg.

You'll be amazed how soon the leg that's still pedaling gets weak when trying to lift up the pedal to make it go round. Once you get used to the sensation, do it with both legs lifting and moving their pedals in a circle, like tobyker says. You'll find yourself going twice a fast 'cos you're applying power all the way round, not just pushing.
  • mapei
    mapei Posts: 17
    To get the feel of it, unclip one foot while riding along steadily, and lift it off to the side, out of the way of the pedal. That way you can pedal with just the one other leg.

You'll be amazed how soon the leg that's still pedaling gets weak when trying to lift up the pedal to make it go round. Once you get used to the sensation, do it with both legs lifting and moving their pedals in a circle, like tobyker says. You'll find yourself going twice a fast 'cos you're applying power all the way round, not just pushing.
  • FCE2007
    FCE2007 Posts: 925
    Yep, pedal in circles.
    Souplesse is your aim unless you are racing then just stamp down hard :twisted: