3 day tour of Southern Wales. Any recommendations?

trickeyja
trickeyja Posts: 202
edited April 2009 in Tour & expedition
Hi,

I'm thinking of planning a short solo tour round Southern Wales over three days in mid May. I will be starting from home in Cheltenham and aiming to ride from 80-120 miles a day.

My basic outline is on Day 1, cycle to Dolgoch bunkhouse just below the Devil's Staircase in the Cambrians. On Day 2, I will continue West through Tregaron towards New Quay then follow the coast down to Cardigan before heading back to the Brecons. I would somehow like to include the road from Ystradfellte to Heol Senni but I haven't yet worked out how. Day 3 will be more straightforward, just going back to Cheltenham (I have cycled much of this before).

Does this seem like a manageable plan? Do you know of any interesting diversions I should make? Also is there anywhere I should particularly avoid? In particular I'm not sure about the coastal section between New Quay and Cardigan. This plan is very flexible as I haven't made any definite arrangements yet.

Could anyone offer advice about the minimum essentials I would need to bring? I'm thinking wash kit, cycling kit, repair kit + tubes, money, food, camera, lights, batteries, evening wear and nightwear.

Thank you for any advice,
James.

EDIT: The shorter Plan B I have been considering is a Cambrian tour, staying two nights at Dolgoch, on Day 2 going down to Tregaron, up to Cwmystwyth and over the Rhayader mountain road, then via Abbeycwmhir and Llan'dod to Llanwrtyd Wells and back which would be more like 80 miles. I'm keen to include the coastal part but if the other seems like it will be too much or won't be worth the extra this would be an alternative. Any thoughts?