Of National cycle routes

sylvestermorgan
sylvestermorgan Posts: 35
edited April 2009 in Road beginners
Call me a daft (or whatever you like, I'm new to cycling so I have an excuse...for now), but for which types of bike are National cycle routes designed ? Here in Wales, the on road ones are fine as are forest roads (mostly), but others (e.g. route 8), frequently go off road along bouldery paths. Now as the owner of a road bike, I'm not sure my wheels would appreciate thundering over cobbles, or am I being over sensitive?

I only ask because some routes look quite interesting but I'm not sure I'm brave enough to go that way! Thoughts?

Comments

• I would say a hybrid or an MTB with road slicks. I did the 25 miles from Swansea to Kidwelly castle (Sustrans Route 4) on Sunday and my road bike would have been in bits if I had used it. I have an old Cannondale MTB with Tioga City Slickers on and it coped with everything (smooth tarmac to forest fire roads).
    I don't think you don't need a heavy tread, just good tyre depth.
    Trying my best to do 300 miles a month on and off road.
  • My Spesh Tricross copes easily with the routes around Lincoln.

I use 28mm tyres (rather than the 32mm fitted at the factory) to give me a (little) more speed on the road.

deal Posts: 857
    I would say a hybrid or an MTB with road slicks. I did the 25 miles from Swansea to Kidwelly castle (Sustrans Route 4) on Sunday and my road bike would have been in bits if I had used it. I have an old Cannondale MTB with Tioga City Slickers on and it coped with everything (smooth tarmac to forest fire roads).
    I don't think you don't need a heavy tread, just good tyre depth.

I rode that route on a road bike with 25mm tyres, the gravel sections between Bynea and Llanalli are not so bad but the transitions onto all those little wooden bridges just past Bynea are nasty, esspecially when you time your bunny hops wrong and smash into the lip :oops:
  • LingfieldXC
    LingfieldXC Posts: 134
    i went to investigate the surrey cycle route yesterday, got to the start of an off road bit turned round and went home. too muddy for my lovely road bike, don't think bumps are too much of an issue, thinnk of pair-roubaix, it's just the mud is an a** to clean off.
    Your'e never alone with schizophrenia.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Near me (SE Wales) they've taken the least used roads that go directly up the valley sides (the sorts of road on an os map with the double arrows indicating really really steep).

NCN 42 out of Chepstow, doable on a triple but why not just use the nearby B roads with sensible gradients.

/rant