Giant Yukon FX3 Rear Air Shock

jonperks
jonperks Posts: 3
edited July 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

I'm new to Mountain Biking and recently purchased a Giant Yukon FX3. It seems like a great bike to me but I'm a bit confused with the rear air shock. It seem extremely stiff and doesn't appear to ever move as far as I can tell. It has a valve so I can pump in or let out air and it also has a thumb screw adjustment.

Can someone help me understand what I should be doing or is the stiffness usual?

Thanks!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what year?

what make of shock?

but guessing.
    set air pressure to give the sag you want. and set the rebound to what you want.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jonperks
    jonperks Posts: 3
    Thanks for the reply. Its a 2009 Giant Air Shock.

Is it normal for the shock to be pumped up so much. How much movement should I expect?

Any recommendations on a good value shock pump...
  • thedirge
    thedirge Posts: 181
    Got my Yukon today, have pretty much the same questions.

The manual says 4" of rebound.
    Consequences.... are just a harmless by-product of having a good time, all the time.

Thinking about things isn't the same as doing things. Otherwise everybody would be in jail.
  • Will be sent like that in case the user is very heavy. You need a shock pump and then you can let a bit of air out.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Try and adjust the air so it sits 25% into its travel when you are sat on the bike (or preferably stood in the normal 'ready' position)
  • Hi I have just gor a second hand yukon fx3 2010 and the rear suspension seems to bottom out, i can pump it up with a car foot pump but it still dont get that stiff, is a car foot pump ok ? or must i use a shock pump ? thank you in advance fellow riders
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    You must use a shock pump - they work at high pressure compared to tyres.