Anyone used Viro-Sol Degreaser?

orderodonata
orderodonata Posts: 86
edited May 2015 in Workshop
I'm looking for some citrus type degreaser, used Finish Line and Park stuff in the past which is great, but toooo expensive.

Found this online http://www.thecleaningwarehouse.co.uk/c ... -282-p.asp

Seems cheap enough in quantity, but has any used it and is it any good?

Comments

• robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    Yep - my parts washer is filled with 10 litres of the stuff, and I use it in my park chain scrubber too.

It's a very powerful degreaser and is, if anything, more aggressive than typical citrus degreasers sold for cyclists, like the park badged stuff. It's a good idea to blow it off with an air line after use, or rinse parts following degreasing..
  • Do you know of anywhere you can get it without the huge delivery charges?
    http://www.KOWONO.com - Design-Led home furniture and accessories.
  • Cheers for that, I might give it a go.

With regards to delivery charges, I think most places will charge a fair bit as they have to use couriers to deliver liquids?
    I got 10 litres of Kerosene based degreaser from Ebay delivered for around £25.Its been in my parts washer since January and very little to no evaporation.
  • Hi everyone!

Viro-sol - Cleaner Dregreaser. Formulated for maximum cleaning power. Fast acting to remove dirt, grime, oil.

If you are interested in the Viro-Sol Citrus Degreaser then call The Cleaning Warehouse on 01902 307070. We specialize in all types of cleaning products that could really make a shine. If you are looking at the postage charge then please get in contact with your order and we will try and tweek it so you get the product at the cheapest price.

We are here to help!!!
    Clean and Degrease your ride at www.thecleaningwarehouse.co.uk
  • DuncanKay
    DuncanKay Posts: 2
    Came across this thread while searching for cheaper options to Halfords / Weldtite citrus degreaser, but having looked at the data sheets on Viro-Sol I really wouldn't want to be using it if you care about your health and the environment!
    http://www.cloverchem.co.uk/2013/sds/en ... ol_sds.pdf

H304: May be fatal if swallowed and enters airways
    H318: Causes serious eye damage.
    H315: Causes skin irritation.
    H317: May cause an allergic skin reaction.
    R65: Harmful: may cause lung damage if swallowed.
    R50/53: Very toxic to aquatic organisms, may cause long-term adverse effects in the aquatic environment.
    R52/53: Harmful to aquatic organisms, may cause long-term adverse effects in the aquatic environment.

Viro-sol is an industrial cleaning chemical - not something that's intended for domestic use (especially without wearing suitable protection) - and certainly not something that should be put down the drain afterwards!

Anything that is good at cleaning your chain is going to have some potential side effects, but while the Weldtite Citrus Degreaser material data sheet does say it can irritate eyes and skin, it has none of the above warnings.
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    Surfex HD is a really good water soluble degreaser. Used neat it cleans chains etc but, can also be diluted (I use 10:1) and used much like muc off for general cleaning. It's harmless to anodized parts so all your shiny bits stay shiny.