altura trail

dmb4
dmb4 Posts: 30
edited May 2009 in MTB rides
Hi all I am off to the lake district and was going to try this, altura trail. Is is any good??

Comments

• Not bad but there is some awesome trails in the lakes.

Whinlatter is just average.
  • dmb4
    thanks for the link did try a search but ended up with loads of reviews of altura stuff. Sounds perfect, taking along a beginner so Walnar scar etc may be a little much
  • CrazySmudge
    CrazySmudge Posts: 137
    the down hill on the southern loop is brilliant - tough climb but worth it!!
  • sparrowlegs78
    sparrowlegs78 Posts: 2,583
    When you say "tough climb"....how would it compare to Llandeglas straight long uphill?
    Caz xxxx
  • CrazySmudge
    Llandeglas? no comparison - The Altura climb is a zig zag, when you get to the top turn right and guess what?? yep another climb!! The view though is amazing and the down hill just awesome. Although the climb is not as hard as Cwmcarn - that climb nearly broke me the 2nd time around !
  • sparrowlegs78
    sparrowlegs78 Posts: 2,583
    So it's a hard bugger....i'll not get the Hubby to do that one then...he moans anout Llandegla!!! :lol:
    Caz xxx
  • CrazySmudge
    reckon you should both give it go - well worth it
  • shaun23
    shaun23 Posts: 159
    the down hill on the southern loop is brilliant - tough climb but worth it!!

so so true :D we met some guys last week who did it on halfords special bikes so you should be fine. the climbs are tiring but well worth it once you've got there. we did both loops twice in a day which was very fun!!!
  • JxL
    JxL Posts: 383
    I'm up for coming down to Altura trail on Friday, anybody want to join me?

Will be driving from Preston so its a good 1.5 hour drive. Would be great if somebody else could join me for a short guide around!
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    I think the climbs are reasonably fair compared to what a natural trail can throw at you!

I prefer the North side but the view from the top of the South is 8)
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • cicatriz
    cicatriz Posts: 411
    For an easier introduction to the Lakes try the North Face at Grizedale. I've done both the North Face and the Altura Trail at Whinlatter and the North Face is definately the easier of the two. Good fitness is required for both but technical skills are more essential at the Altura. Watch out for the descent at the Altura. Lulled me into a false sense of ability before my big off.
  • pdid
    pdid Posts: 1,065
    It's also worth noting that the North loop is seriously greasy in places. I think, with it being relatively new, there is still a film of mud on parts of the trail. Particularly parts which either hold water or don't see much sunlight.
  • JxL
    JxL Posts: 383
    yeah the climbs are a piece of cake. I did the South climb in middle/middle ring without breaking a sweat (and im not fit either).

The North loop was a longer climb and overall a much more technical descent, not as good as the south but at the very end it made it worthwhile with incredible turns and jumps.
  • dmb4
    Well did it, must say I thought it was actutally very good despite fairly heavy rain. Well worth a trip
  • CrazySmudge
    great trial - love the warnings on the sign at the beginning - want to see if you have a "weak heart don't try it!"