Dave Lloyd Challenges - recce'ing the route - road surfaces!

CumbrianMan
CumbrianMan Posts: 240
Been out over the past few weekends and recce'd most of the DLMC 'midi' route, and boy, some of those road surfaces well and truly give you a good beating up ! :!:

Cracking ride though. :D

Starts off up the Shelf, on a poor surface, just in time to warm you up for the Horseshoe Pass (not too bad), and then the killer, Worlds End. OMG ! :shock: Well, killer for me, as I'm not doing the long one with the Bwlch Y Groes. 100 miles of rough, tough Welsh roads is enough for me !

Nice climb up to Rhosesmor and then Meol Arthur, with steep drop down other side.
On through Denbigh, and up the Cerrig 'road to hell'. Couple steep bits, but not too bad, unless you have the headwind !
Past the lovely Llyn Brenig down to Cerrigydrudion, then on over to Bala. Climbs are quite easy. Back from Bala, crossing over the A5, and then the road back to Ruthin. Little bit lumpy, but a nice 5 mile downhill toward the end.
But wait for it, Pen Barras to finish you off. And finish me off it did :!: :!:

Bonus is, I'll be fitter by June (I hope), plus I'll be on my lighter bike !

Just gotta say credit to everyone doing the 150 miler. That'll keep for next year :lol:

Anyone else been out and recce'd the course ?
What did you think ?
"There are no hills, there is no wind, I feel no pain !"

"A bad day on the bike is always better than a good day in the office !"

Comments

• Myk-ee
    Myk-ee Posts: 276
    That has just scared me (i'm signed up to the 150miler).

I knew it was going to be tough.. :shock:
    It's the vibe of the thing.
  • CumbrianMan
    Hey Myk-ee, don't worry, you've still got 2 months to get yourself fit enough !

I must admit, when I done a bit of a ride on the course a month or so ago, I thought 'how the heck am I gonna get round 100miles, never mind 150 miles'.

Now that I've ridden some parts a couple of times, and know what to expect, it seems more manageable. Still glad I'm only doing the 100 though ! :)

You'll probably still beat me round anyway !!

Good luck on the big one ! :D

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Rode it last year....the route has changed very slightly since....rather than starting with Bwlch Penbarras it now finishes with it...and it now ascends Bwlch Y Groes the awful tough way rather than the more gentle approach which was taken last year...this is a very significant change...as for me....this climbs the equal toughest brute in the whole UK...its awful!....and you hit it as 100mile...oh dear lord....I did it on the Wild Wales in 2007 at 70 miles and it wiped the field out...its a monster....you'd better prepare yourself...and dont even speak about that road to Cerrig!

Toughest run Ive ever did by a preverbial mile...

I wrote of my experience last year...you can read about it if you want here...may give an idea of what to expect....
    http://www.sportivecentral.com/index.ph ... 316&page=2
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    I can attest to the fact that it was really tough last year, but well worth the effort. The finishing climb this year will be nasty.

I'd recommend 25mm tyres too, especially if the roads are in worse shape. I punctured once last year on 23mm and saw quite a few others who'd done the same.

Be nice if it didn't rain :D
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • Myk-ee
    Myk-ee Posts: 276
    See, now I don't know whether to be more scared or excited :shock:
    It's the vibe of the thing.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    edited April 2009
    I ride these roads all the while. It's all about tyre pressures. I run 80psi at the front (even on 23mm tyres) and 100psi rear - the surface might be bumpy, but potholes are rather rare, so snakebites aren't so much of a worry.

I would recommend decent and light 25mm tyres (or perhaps some Open Paves).

I used to really suffer from road buzz - my bum, hands and feet used to really hurt, but 80Psi on the front really makes a difference to comfort.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • CumbrianMan
    Myk-ee, don't be scared mate, be excited.

As you can see from Richyboy and Jeff, it's a good tough challenge, and that's what we like about doing these things. Isn't it ?!

For me, finishing this will give me the same buzz as getting to the top of the Col De L'Iseran at -5'c in just a short-sleeved top, shorts, gilet, armwarmers and fingerless gloves. A right old trial, but well worth it !!

RedDragon, good advice mate. Will try the pressures you recommend, over the next few weeks.

Cheers

• Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    edited April 2009
    I ride these roads all the while. It's all about tyre pressures. I run 80psi at the front (even on 23mm tyres) and 100psi rear - the surface might be bumpy, but potholes are rather rare, so snakebites aren't so much of a worry.

I would recommend decent and light 25mm tyres (or perhaps some Open Paves).

I used to really suffer from road buzz - my bum, hands and feet used to really hurt, but 80Psi on the front really makes a difference to comfort.
    I ran mine at about 100psi last year 'cos it was wet. I just know I would have had more confidence on the descents with fatter tyres.

My flat was caused by a bit of glass on a smooth section with about 30km to go. A bit unlucky, given that I'd done most of the rough stuff. But it only took me ~5 frenzied minutes to change so it didn't cost too much time.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • vanleapo
    vanleapo Posts: 150
    I did the DLMC last year and I didn't think the roads were too bad compared to my local roads.

I think this just says something about the roads of central Scotland.

I always use 23mm tyres at 100psi. I also use latex inner tubes which may help.

Can't wait for the finish up Penbarras this year. Just hope the weather's a bit better.
    Tearfund Tour of Scotland 26th May to 1st June 2013
    http://www.justgiving.com/phil-godley