Oh god what have I done. I stopped smoking

Comments

• Nik_B
    Nik_B Posts: 270
    My wife used champix and has stopped for a year now. I can't use the same method as I am allready on various medication for asthma and stomach problems.

I'm lucky (is this the right description? lol) to be asthmatic as I notice the difference with in hours rather that days. Smoking doesn't cause attacks for me but I get a lot more wheezing and use my ventolin alot. The day after I stopped I have barely touched my ventolin, just haven't had and tightness at all. 5 days on I can take a deep breath and my lungs feel bigger.

My shoulder injury has calmed down following a few days of rest so I think I'll be back out tonight and see the effects for real...can't wait.
  • OwenB
    OwenB Posts: 606
    It's great when you can feel the benefits of giving something up. I've stopped drinking a while back and still seem to have a beer belly :cry:
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Physical nicotine cravings/addiction on lasts for something like 72 hours. After that time the nicotine leaves your system.

However - the MENTAL addiction/cravings can last for years! That's the hardest pattern to break.

It was 3 months on Tuesday since I quit. Still going strong. I want one every once in a while - but it's a contest with me to see how long I can go without having another.

Plus - the taxes just went up (again) on smokes - so now I'm saving even MORE money!

Keep up the battle mate. Well done.
  • Nik_B
    The worst bit is I like love saving money but...I can hardly use this arguement as I work overseas and therefore buy large amounts of rolling tobacco for peanuts in the airport. Smoking probably costs me less that 7 or 8 quid where the patches are double that :lol: Shame because it would be a fantastic incentive.

Oh well...definately feeling like I am in the groove. I won't come off the patches for some time untill I feel detached from the cigarettes enough. I recon 2 - 3months. I plan to break the habit and then break the addiction.

time will tell
  • The very best of luck with this - it's not easy.

I was lucky - my incentive was my then, new, OH. We've now been together for over 13 years. I knew that if I didn't give up, I would never get a kiss or a hug because I tasted and smelled of cigarettes. And possibly put a potential relationship to an end before it started properly.

No patch, no gum, no nothing. Luckily, I'd already tried once because I hated the fact that I was smoking - this was just the extra incentive!

Wasn't easy though - but the reward I got has been worth more than anything in the world to me. :D

You will soon not miss it at all.
    Ned Flanders: “You were bicycling two abreast?”
    Homer Simpson: “I wish. We were bicycling to a lake.”

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • Ditch Witch
    Ditch Witch Posts: 837
    Looks like you made the right choice! :lol:

Nik, once you've kicked the mental addiction, the physical addiction will be a piece of piss.

Looks like we're all a bunch of quitters! :lol:
    I ride like a girl
    Start: 16.5.x Now: 14.10.8 Goal: 11.7.x
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
    Specialized HardRock Pro Disc 04
  • papasmurf.
    papasmurf. Posts: 2,382
    smoking is great..nothing better then that first drag of lovely fresh hot smoke going into your lungs..mmhhhh...

I've not smoked for just over a year...hadn't smoked for a couple of days, so just rolled with it and haven't smoked since.
  • shepdav
    shepdav Posts: 1
    There are a lot of problems associated with smoking which people face like problem with respiratory system, heart and many more. Chantix helps you to get over this smoking habit and it works on the body by giving you the same feel good effect and hence reduces the craving for nicotine. Along with having chantix one should have the will power to get over this habit. Best luck to all those who want to give up smoking.
    Chantix is FDA approved drug.
  • Ditch Witch
    I hear spam works pretty well, too.
    I ride like a girl
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
  • Nik_B
    I'm still not smoking but should anything go wrong I might try Champix. I would rather not though as I bet I'll be one of the unlucky ones who gets adverse reactions :lol:

From what I understand it just blocks the receptors in your brain so you physically cannot get the effect of the nicotine.

Day 6 woohoo
  • Ditch Witch
    What you need is something like anti-buse that makes you throw up everywhere if you smoke :lol:

Day 6, you're doing SO WELL!
    I ride like a girl
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
  • OwenB
    OwenB Posts: 606
    I think with Champix you have to start it while you're still smoking so I doubt it will be suitable for you now.

Keep it up though, as I said I used acupuncture which worked out about the same on a weekly basis as what I spent on cigarettes.
    more info here : http://www.curepoint.co.uk/acupuncture-stop-smoking.shtml
  • Nik_B
    First road test complete with my 7 day smoke free lungs :D

Even after a one week break from riding it went pretty well. Attacked every hill and generally found myself riding in harder gears than I had been doing before I stopped. This could be wishfull thinking but I am fairly sure my performance was better than before. I guess time will tell. Certainly my lungs didn't have that wierd burning sensation I got before during the first climb (this was a tarmac route I use for training) and didn't stop at all except for lights and once to adjust my seat. Saddly had to use the ventolin a couple of times due to tightness but such is life.

Anyway I am still hating this and still on the full stregnth patches and STILL getting mad strong cravings at night but they seem to be less requent. Additionally everyone in my house hates me :lol:
  • Ditch Witch
    I went for a hard ride at Peaslake yesterday and used parts of my lungs I don't think I knew I had.

I have a smoker's cough again for the first time in years :lol: Still, never a bad time for a spring clean!
    I ride like a girl
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
  • Graydawg
    Graydawg Posts: 673
    Well done keep going!!

5 years on 20th September this year!
    Funny how we remember dates like that! lol

I did it cold turkey - still no sure how I managed it. Still get cravings (for a split second) :shock:

I dont think you're ever a non smoker, rather a "Smoker who chooses not to Smoke" ;)
    It's been a while...
  • cicatriz
    cicatriz Posts: 411
    Been trying to kick the habit for a long time now. I keep blaming the stress of work for my continuation but come the weekend I never light up before about 8 at night again, like you, after the first glass of wine. Feel a lot better for not smoking during the day. Just need to find some way to block out my boss's banal voice and I'll be sorted.
  • Ditch Witch
    How you doing, Nik??
    I ride like a girl
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
  • I can personally vouch for Champix (NOTE: I said Champix, not Chantix :roll: )

I had tried the patches, the gum, the inhaler, going cold turkey, substituting ciggies for cola bottles etc, none of it worked for more than a month or 2.

Went to the doc and he suggested I try Champix.

You do indeed start taking it while you are still smoking. Then you pick a day that you are going to stop (usually around a week or 2 in to your course) and stick to it. Personally, I found that I stopped enjoying my smokes after about a week or so, so I just stopped early. Difficult to explain to non-smokers, but it was just that I would be having a drag and thinking to myself, I really can't be ar5ed finishing this, and would put it out after a couple of puffs.

I did not suffer any of the ill effects, but I do know people who have. I also have Asthma, I had it *very* bad as a child but it's only very, very mild now. Mainly set off by household dust.

I am now just over 13 months smoke free and never felt better.

Best of luck with your quest to kick the habit, and remember, as the NHS keeps telling us:

"Don't give up on giving up"

Oh by the way, one of the guys at work just started using one of those electric cigarettes to try and help him to stop. Only harmful substance in it is nicotine. Ok, it's still not great, but it's gotta be better than all the crap they put in a proper fag.
  • Nik_B
    Sorry I didn't reply DW I'm in Abu Dhabi now for work :(

Day eleven not touched a single cigarrette and hardly thinking about it at all now. No one at work smokes which is very handy but on the flip side you can still smoke in bars etc which is annoying. Never thought I'd hear myself say that :lol:
    Still on Max stregnth patch and will continue to do so for probably another 2 - 3 weeks untill I am ready to step down to the next one.
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    Nice one fella.

Keep it up :)
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Keep at it, it gets easier.
    I've been off 'em for two and a bit years now- used to count, but dont feel the need to anymore as I dont miss 'em and dont like the smell of 'em.
    One thing I did find (early on at least) was the need to do sommat with my hands, so I got one of those gyro thingamajigs that exercise your arms... Have a play when you feel then need to smoke, soon passes once you are thinking about sommat else. The other thing I found was this:
    http://www.silkquit.org/stop-smoking/quit-meter.aspx
    A free meter that gives you days smoke free, cash saved, days extra life gained, ciggies not smoked- free as well just under the donate button. 8) All my stats were on my old PC at work- made redundant means I dont know what they are- but the money saved and amount of cigs NOT smoked is astonishing! Very useful little tool if you feel yourself wavering a bit... Have a peek and see all the hard work youu will have undone if you have that cig. :):)
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    I went for a hard ride at Peaslake yesterday and used parts of my lungs I don't think I knew I had.

I have a smoker's cough again for the first time in years :lol: Still, never a bad time for a spring clean!

Haha, Ditch Witch, I know the feeling!!! After 13 years of full on chuffing, I gave up just over a month ago.. completely cold turkey.. I just realised that as a cyclist, it's not doing me any good whatsoever.. I've had some cravings here and there, but nothing too major, and feel so much better for it!

I ride from Godalming to Pitch Hill and back most weekends, and before, I was having to stop quite a lot where my lungs were screaming for me to stop.. now, even after a month, I can get over to Pitch so much faster, and even have time to get in a few runs on Pitch (still not made it to Leith Hill yet though..soon!) Granted, I'm bringing up so much crap at the moment, but its for the best!

(and yep, I'm doing the same.. money that would be spent on ciggys is now going towards a shiny new bike!)

Haha, I'll listen out for another cougher at the weekend, and give a nod of appreciation! :)

Well done Nik B too.. keep it up!! Seriously, it'll be the best thing you do if you can stick to it.. I'm just disappointed it took me 13 years of my life to kick such a crap habit..
  • Nik_B
    2 weeks tomorrow :D
  • shogunsteve
    shogunsteve Posts: 209
    I still smoke occasionally. It always coincides with alcohol, and alcohol almost always coincides with stress. I probably smoke about 10 rollup cigarettes a week.

If I dont drink I dont smoke. At all. I know alot of people, bikers and non-bikers who are the same. But we all have one thing in common, that we want to be able to have a drink without the ciggy.

At the moment it doesnt affect my fitness, I feel fit and healthy because I ride alot, but I suspect I'd be even fitter without smoking.

I have to confess I have at age 34 started to think about the health risks, but that still doesnt deter me from lighting up after a few JDs and coke.

Have just ordered the book...so hopefully it will help.
  • Stopped smoking last year for six months and it was the best thing I ever done. Within weeks I wasn't coughing at the top of every hill. There's nothing like good rigorous exercise to make you realise how bad smoking is for you. I went cold turkey myself and it really was like a nervous breakdown for a week, but fine after that.

Then met the current girlfriend who also smokes. Didn't work out too well...

Really need to stop again but I can't do cold turkey at work.
  • Ditch Witch
    Nice work, everyone!

Nik, you've broken the back of it now, mate ;)
    I ride like a girl
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
  • Nik_B
    3 weeks and one day

:D
  • Ditch Witch
    YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I ride like a girl
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
  • Nik_B
    Four weeks/One month(ish) tomorrow!!! 8)
  • Ditch Witch
    That's awesome You should be very proud of yourself! :D Ready to start coming off the patches yet?
    I ride like a girl
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk