Sora Shifters...

Headhuunter
Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
edited April 2009 in Road beginners
Well, I ride up to 120 miles per week and it mostly goes without any kind of hitch. I ride to and from work though London traffic, about 60 miles per week on my trusty cheapo commuter Apollo, however today I went for a leisurely ride with a friend along the Thames path from Greenwich at speeds of no more than about 10-15mph and I managed to crash into a wooden post (why it's necessary to have a random wood post stuck in the middle of the Thames path, I'll never know).

Thank god I was wearing the helmet. I almost left it behind - I thought that riding along the Thames path wouldbe pretty eventless - but I hit the post and plunged forehead first into it and the helmet saved me from a nasty gash or being knocked unconcious. Also managed to badly bruise my hand which is now quite swollen and painful to move.

Anyway, onto the bike, I also managed to write off my front deraileur Sora shfter/brake lever. Having had a look on the net, they seem to come in sets of 2 and I can only find 8 or 9 speed rear shifters, however I have a 7 speed rear block. Are they compatible? Also I've seen some of the front shifters listed as triples but other weibsites list the front shifters as double and triple compatible. Is it correct that Sora front shifters are OK with double or triple chainrings?

Thanks for reading....
Do not write below this line. Office use only.

Comments

• rickhotrod
    rickhotrod Posts: 181
    Sora front shifters come in two versions: double and triple.

An 8 speed Shimano shifter will work with a 7 speed Shimano block, although the indexing might need careful adjustment as 8 speed Shimano blocks have the sprockets spaced slightly closer together
  • Headhuunter
    Thanks. So the triple version is not compatible with a double chainring? I've seen a few references to people seeming to use triples with double chainrings on the net but perhaps I've misread
  • Gav888
    Gav888 Posts: 946
    Thanks. So the triple version is not compatible with a double chainring? I've seen a few references to people seeming to use triples with double chainrings on the net but perhaps I've misread

Im not sure exactly how you know if you have a triple sora shifter but ive got sora shifters with a double chain ring on the front and 9 speed on the rear, and my shifter click 3 times, so its probably is a triple one but works fine with the double.

I use the first 2 'click' adjustments for the chain rings then the third click - which takes the front derailer past the big chain ring is stopped using the adjuster screws, so effectively im only using the first 2 clicks and the screw stops the 3rd click incase im over generous with the shifting, if you know what i mean :)
    Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster - Greg LeMond
  • tonyw43
    tonyw43 Posts: 249
    As far as I know, Sora shifters are double/triple compatible. Will get mine out of the cupboard and check the part numbers to see what they say. If they're suitable, may be a cheap option for you.
  • Gary D
    Gary D Posts: 431
    TonyW43 wrote:
    As far as I know, Sora shifters are double/triple compatible. Will get mine out of the cupboard and check the part numbers to see what they say. If they're suitable, may be a cheap option for you.

The newer 9-speed Sora shifters are double/triple compatible but the older 8 speed are not :(:(

On the 8-speed type, the standard double has the markings "Shimano - Sora - Flight Deck" on it, but the triple also has "Triple" marked underneath :wink::wink:

The third click (on a double) is probably the trim function.

I know, because I had to change mine when going from a double to a triple chainset.

Headhuunter,
    You do not make it clear if it is the double or triple you are after?
    If it is the double, then I have one that has only had very light use that you could make me an offer on :D Please PM me if you are interested.

Hope this helps,
    Gary.
    Oh and I feel like I've been raped by an Orangutan :shock: And I've got legs like Girders :lol:
  • Headhuunter
    Thanks for al the responses. I need a double shifter. I'll PM you Gary....