Was I the only one screaming . . .

Birillo
Birillo Posts: 417
edited April 2009 in Pro race
. . . at David Harmon when he described Ivanov as "coming into form" at the end of Amstel Gold? Come on , he wasn't "coming into form", he was almost in orbit! At 34 years of age!

The "new generation" never had a look in. Wonder why?

Comments

• afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    What "new generation" is that? The one that included Ricco, Kohl etc?
  • Birillo
    You're more cynical than I am!
  • Or the one that Robert Gesink (3rd) hails from?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • afx237vi
    Ehhh... I'm just not sure about the existence of a generational dividing line between the old dopers and the young clean riders. We've been talking about the "new generation" for the past 10 years! It doesn't exist.

That said, I don't think Ivanov's win was that odd. He won from a fairly soft break and benefited from disorganization in the peloton. Silence-Lotto got the bunch to within touching distance, then everyone sat up.
  • Wasn't what I was driving at.. Merely saying that Gesink IS from a "new generation" purely by dint of age and nothing else. Generalising about 5 years worth of cyclists, from all over the world's, ethics based on nothing but the years they weer born is crazy talk.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • afx237vi
    Wasn't what I was driving at.. Merely saying that Gesink IS from a "new generation" purely by dint of age and nothing else. Generalising about 5 years worth of cyclists, from all over the world's, ethics based on nothing but the years they weer born is crazy talk.

I know. I agree.
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    I regularly scream at the Eurosport commentary when they're asking some ridiculous question which a quick google search will answer while things are happening on the road.

At Roubaix they completely missed the fact that Chavanel and Devolder totally lost contact with the top group, and only worked it out once they got back to the front group.

They should go listen to some Flemish commentary. See how they do it.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • Birillo
    I regularly scream at the Eurosport commentary when they're asking some ridiculous question which a quick google search will answer while things are happening on the road.

That wasn't my point. I think Harmon is by far the best of the English commentators. I really like him, but normally he uses phrases like "extraordinary" to hint that certain performances are, well, extraordinary. Today he seemed to accept Ivanov's performance at face value, whereas I got the strong impression that he was on "another level " 20K out.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I like Harmon because he talks about my leg :)
  • Birillo wrote:

That wasn't my point. I think Harmon is by far the best of the English commentators. I really like him, but normally he uses phrases like "extraordinary" to hint that certain performances are, well, extraordinary. Today he seemed to accept Ivanov's performance at face value, whereas I got the strong impression that he was on "another level " 20K out.

I have the same issues with Eurosport.. Harmon very excitedly telling us Valverde was out of the front group when, not 2 seconds previously, he'd rolled through the shot on his rather, shall we say, ostentatious Spanish Champs painted bike.

Still, they;re getting much better work from Kelly now his entire raison d'etre isn't to haul Duffield back into the present with a brusque "oi don't tink sho"

@gietvangent
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I like Harmon because he talks about my leg :)

Ahh I thought it was you! I was going to tell the wife ' hey I know the guy harmon's talking about' but then I realised I don't actaully know you and also she wouldn't care :?
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • DomPro
    DomPro Posts: 321
    Awesome race though. Loved them narrow lanes.
    Shazam !!
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    DomPro - what on earth's that avatar of yours?
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • DomPro
    DomPro Posts: 321
    The arm used to be attached to the shoulder, and has been moved to the area between the legs. Isn't that what it looks like?
    Shazam !!
  • Birillo
    Watched LBL today. Harmon back on track. Many thanks.