Doh - XBOX 360 3 red lights

gcwebbyuk
gcwebbyuk Posts: 1,926
edited April 2009 in The Crudcatcher
My Xbox 360 has just given up the ghost

So I now need to decide - do I use this oppurtunity to get a PS3 instead (BluRay player etc), get another XBOX or use my laptop (fairly hi-spec so should be fine for gaming).

How do games like Far Cry 2 compare between Xbox and PC? I can't find any downloadable demos of the game to try it out

Comments

• birchy
    birchy Posts: 309
    just send it to microsoft and they will fix it for free :wink:
  • gcwebbyuk
    birchy wrote:

no can do:

1. its out of warranty....

2. erm not going to say on a public forum... :oops:
  • gcwebbyuk wrote:
    birchy wrote:

no can do:

1. its out of warranty....

2. Its been flashed to play pirate games :lol:

:lol: i'll say it for ya!

PS3 is miles better. no more HD films, everything has gone blu-ray, don't have to pay to play online, better interface etc etc etc.
  • gcwebbyuk
    Just ordered far cry 2 for my laptop - tenner from play.com with the expansion pack.

Given up on the download - 4 hours and several comments saying it doesnt work anyway

As for which console - PS3 is winning at the mo - purely for the blu-ray player
  • rhysduk
    rhysduk Posts: 138
    Cant you just fix your 360?
    PP Shan & Intense SS2
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    bigbenj_08 wrote:

PS3 is miles better. no more HD films, everything has gone blu-ray, don't have to pay to play online, better interface etc etc etc.

still lots of HD DVD movies out there and they are cheap and region free. And some will never be on Blu.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    bigbenj_08 wrote:

still lots of HD DVD movies out there and they are cheap and region free. And some will never be on Blu.
    maybe in Sweden :P

Haven't seen a HD-DVD for ages! HMV have pretty much stopped selling them, and you won't see them in blockbuster etc etc.

Besides the point anyway as Xbox 360 can't play HD-DVD without the added drive.... :lol:
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    like i said they are reigion free. Look to the states and canada.

and HD movies from 3 bucks!
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • not bad for the cash! normal DVDs are more expansive on the high street!

Still... not much I can do, bought the ps3 that just happened to have the blu-ray player :D
  • deadliest
    deadliest Posts: 471
    I own both and the PS3 is far superior at steaming content from the HD on my PC ( Legally DL'ed of Course) But it is resigned to the bedroom, The XBOX 360 is used for gaming and the online gaming is so much better as well ( But you get what you pay for IMO) The TV upstairs is only 1080i where as the one in the living room is 1080p but for the odd occassion I watch BLURAY films it only takes 5 minutes to move it back downstairs.

So buy a PS3 if you want to stream content and use it as a BLURAY player, Buy XBOX360 if you want to play COD 5 and Left 4 Dead online.

Thats my 2 pence worth.
    Bikes are drugs and Im pedalling

http://sherwoodpines.yolasite.com/
  • gcwebbyuk
    I havent played online for quite a while now and dont really miss it - prefer to play on my own :wink: so the xbox live side of things doesnt bother me.

so comparing one game - say cod5 between xbox 360 and ps3 - how are they?
  • i'd really like to know how the xbox online is any better.... i've had both xbox and PS3 - playing online is playing online!
    COD 5 is amazing online on the ps3, how does i differ on the 360?!

Me and my mate set up a 360 (the HDMI one) and PS3 against each other on my 1080p tv. we both agreed that even though the 360 had less jaggies, the image was very dull and colourless when compared to the ps3. (he sold his 360 a few weeks later :lol:)
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5axYHeG4Xeo worth a try if your just going to scrap it..
  • How I laughed when the same thing happened to my brothers xbox :lol::wink: I've got a ps3.

He got his replaced under warranty, then changed it for the black xbox with the hdmi slot. Although apparently thats just as likely to get the same overheating problem??... :shock:

I'd get a ps3, bluray is handy. Also I forgot how noisy the old consoles used to be, but I'm reminded when the xbox rumbles into life :?
    *Rock Lobster Team Tig SL (22lb 14oz)
    *C. Late 1950's Fixed Gear
    *1940 Raleigh Dawn Tourist with rod brakes
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    Well, there is one, sure fire way to sort out the 'red eye' or 'rings of death', or whatever you call it - worked for me!

GET A PS3!!!

Ya know ya want to 8) :wink:
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • Stop messing about with kids toys and get a PS3 :wink:
    There is a time to surf and a time to wax your board.....

'09 Trek Remedy 8
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • deadliest
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    i'd really like to know how the xbox online is any better.... i've had both xbox and PS3 - playing online is playing online!
    COD 5 is amazing online on the ps3, how does i differ on the 360?!)

Its probably because I only have friends on XBOX360 :(

• deadliest wrote:
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    i'd really like to know how the xbox online is any better.... i've had both xbox and PS3 - playing online is playing online!

Awwww :(

Sell your 360, get COD on the ps3 and i'll be your friend :lol:
  • deadliest
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    deadliest wrote:
    bigbenj_08 wrote:

I already own a PS3 . . . Do you really hate XBOX360's that much that you wont be my Friend till i sell it ??? :lol:

• deadliest wrote:
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    deadliest wrote:
    bigbenj_08 wrote:

I already own a PS3 . . . Do you really hate XBOX360's that much that you wont be my Friend till i sell it ??? :lol:

:lol::lol: yep, there's something about 360 owners that annoys me (probably Forza 2, its the only game i'd ever buy a 360 for, bloody loved it).
  • gcwebbyuk
    I think I will buy a PS3 in the near future - going to play Far Cry for a bit on my laptop when it arrives though...

So who can find the best price for a PS3 then???

Will have a go at repairing the Xbox as a second console - maybe to have in the bedroom for when the TV in the living room is being used by her in doors :shock:
  • deadliest
    gcwebbyuk wrote:
    .So who can find the best price for a PS3 then???

Google ??? :lol:

• gcwebbyuk
    I tried google - they all seem to be about 300ish.

Gonna pop down to Comet tonight I think and pick one up as they seem to be the same price as anywhere else pretty much.

So now I need to decide which games to get as part of the package....

http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/catego ... d-packages
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    At least you saw the light :P
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • gcwebbyuk
    I saw three of them ;) red ones :shock: hehe
  • The Northern Monkey
    The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
    edited April 2009
    gcwebbyuk wrote:
    I tried google - they all seem to be about 300ish.

Gonna pop down to Comet tonight I think and pick one up as they seem to be the same price as anywhere else pretty much.

So now I need to decide which games to get as part of the package....

http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/catego ... d-packages

Killzone 2 and HAWX. Sonic is utter tosh!

(sorry I mean't killzone not resistance)
  • I'd go killzone 2 and hawx. I didn't like resistance (probably becuase I prefer call of duty) but killzone and hawx are a good laugh.
    There is a time to surf and a time to wax your board.....

'09 Trek Remedy 8
  • gcwebbyuk
    I was thinking either resistance 2 and Hawx or Killzone and Hawx?

Resistance 2 is cheaper to buy on its own that killzone, so would make a cheaper overall buy - sound like a good idea?