tour of turkey spoiler

stefrees
stefrees Posts: 137
edited April 2009 in Pro race
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoEd0w-BmfI the worst piece of cycling sportsmanship. ban for life

Comments

• Not very sporting! In case people are wondering, go to 3.40 in and watch towards the bottom left of the screen.

Strange as Bos has always seemed an ok chap on the track, so I wondered what prompted that 'throw', unless he thought it was a madison.

I think a ban for life may be a tad excessive though! Incidently on which note, obviously in cycling you can be excluded from a race, fined, relegated etc, but what happens in a situation like that where it's the final stage or a one day race.

As far as I'm aware there's no set procedure, so would the comms have to report him to the UCI and then they or the Dutch fed. would give out some sort of ban. Just thinking back to the Blijlevens incident, and he was chucked off the Tour, but there was no other ban, so is it even possible?
  • excessive? Surely fair for attempting to seriously injure a fellow rider, god knows what could have happened if he'd caught his neck in the wrong way on that barrier.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    That's absolutely bizarre. You can't really tell from the video, but I'm assuming Bos crashed too? What would possess someone to do that?

It's hard to even guess what kind of penalty he could get because it's just so unusual. He should be banned for some period of time, but I've no idea how long. 6 months? A year?
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,170
    Well whatever ban he has got he will have lost any kind of respect in the peloton, he will be very disliked.
    Mañana
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Commissaires disqualified Wim Van Huffel for holding on to a car, but took no action against Bos. Good to know they've got their priorities straight :roll:
  • excessive? Surely fair for attempting to seriously injure a fellow rider, god knows what could have happened if he'd caught his neck in the wrong way on that barrier.

Yup, I think a life ban would be excessive. Fair enough a long ban, but life, nope. Look at something similar in other sports and you wouldn't get a life ban, nor if you did it to someone on the street would you get life.

I'd love to know why he did it though, particularly as afx says when he crashed into him too and went down fairly hard :roll:

Nice work by the comms on DQing Van Huffel too but missing this, presumably though you can be "cited" to the race jury or federation somehow though. Like I put in my original post, there really isn't any sort of precedent for this sort of punishment that I can think of.
  • avalon
    avalon Posts: 345
    I think Bos knew he was going down hard into the barrier on his left and instincitively grabbed the first thing to his right that he saw. I really don't think it was as malicious as it seems.
    I've seen Bos on the track dozens of times and he never seemed overly aggressive
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    http://stopreadingthisandrideabike.w...our-of-turkey/

I saw this on another site as i was interested to look into this a bit more and personally i think it must have been an accident, that barrier is wibbling all over the place and he gets closer and closer to hitting it. The barrier legs at the bottom could well have caused him to crash IMO