offroad racing for young kids

plain lazy
plain lazy Posts: 137
Hi, My five year old wants to start racing, are there any events for riders this young? i'm going to the bikeradar live and going to take part there but want something regular. we live in the midlands. Someone one told me that they sometimes have kids races at cyclocross events but thats coming to a season end now.

any advice or info would be great

cheers

Comments

• bratboy
    bratboy Posts: 82
    You are correct that there are races for kids at the West Mids Cyclo Cross League, there is always a kids race with age cat of under-8s (cat E), but with no lower limit (I beleive). They often race with the under-10s as there are quite a few kids racing.

First cx races will be in September time.

Solihull CC also do sessions at the new circuit/track in tudor Grange park for kids.

There is a race series starting this weekend at Curborough near Lichfield this weekend.

Find details on the British Cycling's website.
    SC61.10a: FCN 3, with clip-on guards for winter
    Uncle John: FCN ?? knobblies, or 'fat' slicks n guards

If you haven't tried these things, you should.
    These things are fun, and fun is good.
  • plain lazy
    plain lazy Posts: 137
    thanks, i'll check out the curborough events as i live in cannock so pretty local
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Might be worth looking at any local tracks - see what sessions they have for kids - my 7 year old quite enjoys that - she's tried cyclocross and BMX too but of the three it's the track she asks me if she can go.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.