Haldon XC Red Route (Exeter) - Any Good?

hoochylala
hoochylala Posts: 987
edited April 2009 in Routes
Looking to go down to Devon over one of the May bank holiday weekends to see the gf's parents - going to be staying reasonably close to Exeter so just wondered if its worth putting the wheels in motion to see if I can nip away for a few hours one morning to do the Red XC route at Haldon Freeride! - http://www.haldonfreeride.org

Anyone ridden it? Whats it like? Worth while? Piccys?! :)

Cheers

Comments

• Did it last weekend - yes it's worth a look. Some of it's closed but you can find a way around if you want to.

It's not long - less than an hour if you push it, but has some nice views. It's not Wales, let alone Scotland but a nice spin out.

There are a few other trails (we did all of them in around 2 hours riding) - just watch the log jump off the fmaily trail cos it kicks your back wheel up!

They're working on a black route which looks interesting.

The double black (north shore) is closed at the moment.

Mike
  • camerauk
    camerauk Posts: 1,000
    Yes I go up their a bit just starting out really so gives me a bit of a challenge
    I have a route if you want it recorded on Garmin edge 205
    Specialized Camber Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • camerauk
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • hoochylala
    hoochylala Posts: 987
    Cheers guys, and thanks for the link camera! Looks like a might go then and try and do a loop of the family route as well to stretch it out a bit.

Does anyone know if the fire roads are open to families and dogs? Might be able to gain some longer time for a couple of laps if I can get the family to come along and walk the dog! :)
  • fred1star
    fred1star Posts: 428
    camerauk wrote:
    I have a route if you want it recorded on Garmin edge 205

50 minutes??? you took your time :P :P only joking. cheers for the link shall try to beat your time.
    09 - Santa Cruz Heckler
    03 - Trek 8500
    95 - P7 (Dead, but I loved it)
    Year dot - Alpine Stars CR300 - Still going strong...
  • camerauk
    [quote="hoochylala"
    Does anyone know if the fire roads are open to families and dogs? Might be able to gain some longer time for a couple of laps if I can get the family to come along and walk the dog! :)[/quote]
    There is loads to do up there for families inc walkers with dogs
    I often do the adventure trail(blue route) first then off on red run my route starts with red run and includes most of the blue route as well but you have to lift your bike over a gate to get off road to join the blue route
    Specialized Allez Sport