Cipollini NOT goimg to jail after all

hommelbier
hommelbier Posts: 1,555
edited April 2009 in Pro race
Poor (well he might be soon) Mario has fallen foul of the Italian Tax people - said he was living in Monaco but really living in Lucca - but a pardon has suspended the 22 month sentence he was given.

Brian

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/18042009/58/cipollini-convicted-tax-evasion.html

Comments

• Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Renting a studio in Monaco and claiming this is your principal home is a common tax dodge for sports stars. Several other riders have done this, I won't name names as this isn't the place but it's safe to say that many find their spacious homes in Belgium, France and Italy more attractive than a pokey rental studio in Monaco.
  • Does anyone else feel strangely relieved that it's a cyclist in trouble with the law but not for drugs?
    No-one wanted to eat Patagonia Toothfish so they renamed it Chilean Sea Bass and now it's in danger of over fishing!
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Ironically the investigation of one rider who claimed to be in Monaco but was actually living in the St Etienne region of France led to some intelligence for a drugs investigation, culminating in the spectacular bust of the rider during the 2007 Tour de France soon after he'd won one of the time trial stages. Someone else can name him.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Kléber wrote:
    Renting a studio in Monaco and claiming this is your principal home is a common tax dodge for sports stars. Several other riders have done this, I won't name names as this isn't the place but it's safe to say that many find their spacious homes in Belgium, France and Italy more attractive than a pokey rental studio in Monaco.

So that's where Jacqui Smith got the idea from!
  • mercsport
    mercsport Posts: 664
    Cipollini always had style , though I never knew he affected to live in Monaco . Sort of dents my picture of him .

Whenever I'm given to think of the place - I visited once and thought it a 'hole' - I'm reminded of Jack Nicholson's verdict on the place as : " Alcatraz for the rich " . :)
    "Lick My Decals Off, Baby"