When to replace a tyre

lurcio
lurcio Posts: 22
edited April 2009 in Road beginners
I was paid a visit by the p*un**re fairy yesterday and she left a 5mm cut across my front tyre. How big should a cut be before I replace it?

Comments

• Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    5mm :twisted:

Try supergluing it - normally works for small cuts.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • lurcio
    Many thanks for the advice. I'll break out the Loctite tomorrow and get sticking :D
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    5mm isn't really a small cut, I'd bin it personally. Not worth the risk of getting a flat at the worst possible time.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Alibran
    Alibran Posts: 370
    5mm isn't really a small cut, I'd bin it personally. Not worth the risk of getting a flat at the worst possible time.

Really? The "standard" front tyre on mine is full of cuts, some of them probably at least 5mm (haven't measured them), from the vile roads around here. I've already changed the back tyre after a puncture where a stone had worked into one of the cuts, but I didn't think the front one was that bad yet.
  • ohlala!
    ohlala! Posts: 121
    I use my bike for comuting everyday of the week, so I change my tires once every 3 months.
  • zedders
    zedders Posts: 509
    everyones always on about punctures! Guess am a unlucky so & so. Been riding 2 years & not a single flat! what am I doing wrong? I feel left out!
    "I spend my petrol money on Bikes, Beer, Pizza, and Donuts "

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38256268@N04/3517156549/
  • zedders - ooh, be careful what you wish for!
    Ned Flanders: “You were bicycling two abreast?”
    Homer Simpson: “I wish. We were bicycling to a lake.”

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    zedders wrote:
    everyones always on about punctures! Guess am a unlucky so & so. Been riding 2 years & not a single flat! what am I doing wrong? I feel left out!

5 years at the end of this May and never had a puncture yet :lol:

I check tyres regularly and soon as they start to cut up on a regular basis they get changed. 8 months on Schwalbe Ultremos before a change and that included a winter commute on them. Michelin Pro 3 - haven't been using them long enough - only 3 months now however they are still going strong. Michelin Pro 2. Winter commute last year and they are still fine however on a bike that I don't use any more and much prefer my pro 3 so never swapped them over.

I ride plenty of country lanes and main roads so a good range of road surfaces to put with too.
  • lurcio
    doyler78 & zedders - I think I'm getting your share. I've had about ten in the last year alone. Bah.