How good are Hybrids for £1,600?

flyer
flyer Posts: 608
edited April 2009 in Road beginners
I have a Roubiax Pro, I bought it thinking that it would provide a better riding position, and it does to a degree.

However, I do finf that I am streteched out on it, and I have had a bike fit so its as good as it gets. However when maneuvering through traffic I find it a bit twitchy on the drop down bars. In the country side it goes like a bullet.

I was thinking of changing it for a Sirrus Pro?

I don't race or compete just do about 3-4 times 50 miles per week!

What you think?

Thanks

Flyer

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I imagine that going from a Roubaix to a hybrid, even an expensive one, would be a bit of a disappointment, but each to his own.

If you feel too stretched out, but that's the bike / size the bike fit suggested for you, perhaps you'd do better with a custom built frame?

What size is the Roubaix? I only ask in case you want to sell it to me.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Get a shorter and/or more upright stem.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    What Alfa said.......
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Why are you manoeuvring through traffic on the drops? Use the hoods.

I can't believe the position you have is that aggressive, Roubaixs come with rather long headtubes and bet you've still got all the spacers on there, and factory bikes always seem come with rather short stems.

You ride 3 or 4 times a week each ride totalling about 50miles or you ride in total 50miles separated over 3-4rides? If you are only doing 50miles a week I can't imagine you are giving yourself too much of a chance of getting used to the bike.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • flyer
    flyer Posts: 608
    thanks for the advise, I do about 150 miles per week.

I have had a shorter stem fitted and also had spacers done, I think the fit is as good as it gets.

I know its a great bike and I guess the more I use it the better it will feel, maybe I am just lazy in wanting flat bars.

I do use the hoods through town, I guess my mountain bike has "wider bars" thats maybe where I get better control of the front end.

Only done about 600 mike on it in last few weeks, its been rapped up all winter!!!!

Its a size 54.

Thanks

Flyer
  • pictit
    pictit Posts: 603
    flyer wrote:

I have had a shorter stem fitted and also had spacers done, I think the fit is as good as it gets.

I know its a great bike and I guess the more I use it the better it will feel, maybe I am just lazy in wanting flat bars.

I do use the hoods through town, I guess my mountain bike has "wider bars" thats maybe where I get better control of the front end.

Only done about 600 mike on it in last few weeks, its been rapped up all winter!!!!

Its a size 54.

Thanks

Flyer
    I would give it a bit more time/miles.I have a hybrid [Marin Muirwoods] I use over the bad weather months and a Specialized Sequoia drop bar bike when things get 'brighter' and it takes me a few rides to get used to the slightly more 'aggressive' position on the Sequoia.
    It may well be you cannot get used to the Roubaix but give it every chance before changing as,assuming you are on roughly the 'right' sized frame,I'd like to think it could indeed be 'tweaked' to fit or your back/body gets 'used' to it :D
  • julietp
    julietp Posts: 67
    flyer wrote:

Its a size 54.

Thanks

Can't you just get flat bars fitted to yuor present bike? A colleague did this and it cost £200. I don't know how it works though but I know that she basically has a trek 1.2 road bike with all the same components but with flat bars.

Flyer
  • julietp
    Can't you just get flat bars fitted to yuor present bike? A colleague did this and it cost £200. I don't know how it works though but I know that she basically has a trek 1.2 road bike with all the same components but with flat bars.
  • julietp
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Perhaps get a second opinion on the fitting? Hybrid would be a backward step IMHO.