First race

spaniamania
spaniamania Posts: 80
edited April 2009 in XC and Enduro
I would like to have a go at racing.
The race I am considering lasts an hour.
As a race novice what average speed should I be achieving?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    25mph.
  • :shock: :D
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    25mph.

I think you need a bigger chain ring :roll:

Mike
  • rbonegio
    rbonegio Posts: 14
    Not sure if this is a serious post, seeing the comments above! However, for a 1 hour xc race, I really wouldn't worry too much about average speed. In reality, these races tend to feel more like a sprint, and you pretty much tend to go as fast as you can from start to finish. Also, courses/conditions can differ greatly, which will affect your speed. Many serious racers therefore use heart rate monitors as a better way to pace their efforts over the course of a race. Having said that, I've noticed the pro/elite xc racers seem to average about 25/26kph, and I'd say if you're able to do above 15kph as a novice that would be an excellent start. Hope that helps!
  • Well done rbonegio on dragging us back to a serious answer :)

I think you're about right on the speeds and definitely right on the heart rate monitor as a better way of measuring yourself.

The course will play a big part - the first Gorrick race of the year (Yateley) had to be shortened twice due to the conditions - and so the lap times are probably more useful to compare yourself against.

Mike
  • Thanks.
    Think I might be ok,well for a beginner.
    How would I use a heart rate monitor.
    Would I be right that I should find an optimum bpm and try to stick to that, or is it more complicated?
  • A heart rate monitor can be set up to alert you if you go outside the zone you intend to work in, so it can warn you if you are consistently in your max heart rate zone (or in your lowest).

I would be more inclined on a first race to try and get a decent start position (get to the start line early), go at a steady high pace for the first bit of fireroad, accept that the entry to the first bit of singletrack will be a mash - as will most of the first lap - until people spread out.

You need to pace yourself, so if a lap is around 5 miles (usual) then you want to avoid being stuffed half way round the second lap.

I would be inclined to treat your first race as a learning curve as to how it works, what the courses are like and how competitive they are. The Gorrick Fun race is a SERIOUS race at the front (and a long way back)!

If you have a heart rate monitor and know your average over a normal hours ride, do a comparison with what you record on a race - it'll be higher due to adrenalin - and see how knackered you are afterwards. See how your laptimes compare - were you the same on both laps? Did you fade? Did you go faster once out of the madding crowd?

Then next time you race you can pace yourself better.

Ideally, do the course after the race is over and see how you do without the pressure.

Just remember, you're doing this for FUN :twisted:

Mike