Will this do for Manchester ?

Tom Butcher
Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
edited December 2012 in Track
Got my first session on the track on Saturday. I have a track bike - I bought it for the road but haven't ridden it or stuck a brake on it yet so I'm thinking I may as well use it on the track on Saturday.

It's one of the cheap steel Fuji Track bikes with unridden Kenda clincher tyres - is that spec OK for the velodrome or are the tyres or maybe bottom bracket height/crank length going to be a problem or not allowed. Need to book a bike tomorrow if mine isn't up to it.

Thanks

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Take it along and if the bb is too low then borrow one...

Tyres should be ok.
  • torin
    torin Posts: 102
    you need to use the tyres over wise they have to dip them in some odd liquid
  • Anonymous
    like vinegar....
  • Anonymous
    Looking in to it, it would appear that you are only allowed to use Vittoria, Continental or Schwalbe clinchers on the track, you'd best give them a bell tomorrow!
  • Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    Got my first session on the track on Saturday. I have a track bike - I bought it for the road but haven't ridden it or stuck a brake on it yet so I'm thinking I may as well use it on the track on Saturday.

It's one of the cheap steel Fuji Track bikes with unridden Kenda clincher tyres - is that spec OK for the velodrome or are the tyres or maybe bottom bracket height/crank length going to be a problem or not allowed. Need to book a bike tomorrow if mine isn't up to it.

Thanks
    The Fuji Track will be just fine – loads of velodrome ‘careers’ have been started on that bike at both Manchester and Newport. It is a track geometry frame so the BB is the right height.

I can’t comment on the Kenda tyres but do yourself a favour and get something better for your comfort and safety. I can highly recommend the Vittoria Diamante Pro Light clinchers for indoor use – I’m a recent convert to these and they really do grip and work very well.

W.R.T. the other comments and questions on preparing and cleaning tyres:

The best liquid to use is white vinegar. However, white vinegar on its own is not a great or easy way to clean the releasing agent off new tyres. I’d always recommend using a flexible sanding block and then cleaning with the vinegar – this removes any remaining greasy residue and leaves the tyres feeling tacky.
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    I don't think the rules on the Mcr Velodrome website regarding only Vittoria, Continental or Schwalbe are 'hard and fast', i.e. you can only use those and would be turned away with the Kendas - assuming they are track-suitable, they'll be OK even if another brand.

What they don't want are tyres like e.g. Michelin Pro Race 3 where there are bands of different rubber in the centre of the tread and on the shoulders
    - alright on the road, where you ride on the centre of the tread when going straight but lean-over onto the shoulders when cornering
    - but on the banking, going between the different rubber compounds can mean grip-level varies suddenly half-way up the banking and you could crash and take others down too

Re vinegar or whatever, as Eddy says, it's to clean-off the moulding release agent fron the tyres, making them grippier.
    Even having done this, they'll want you to ride round on the cote d'azur light blue at the bottom of the track for a few laps to wear them in a bit before you go up the banking.

The whole thing is about having grippy tyres and not crashing - probably more for everyone else's sake so you don't take them down, rather than yours !
    They'll even want you to carry your bike in from the carpark rather than wheeling it, don't want any grit or dirt attached to the tyres which will then be deposited on the track and cause someone to slip and crash...

Similarly you're not allowed to spit or clear your nose onto the track :roll:
  • Pete Beer
    Pete Beer Posts: 604
    I now know why people suggest rubbing their tyres down. I didn't, the first 10 laps were one of the scariest things I've ever done, I really don't recommend it, as I started sliding sideways down the banking on every bend before they wore in.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Just hired a bike in the end - there were a couple of other things that mine didn't conform to - 165 cranks for a start (mine are 170). The coach reckoned it would have been OK but for a tenner extra quite glad I just hired a bike. It was a good night.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • I just put my own bike together ( dolan pre cursa)having completed a beginners and improvers course at Newport.
    I used it for my final session with new tyres and was prewarned to sand them and rub surgical spirit and sand accordingly.
    Its a bit trial and error to start with and certainly a sanding block is essential and the front tyre is a sod to complete
    However i thought id give it a go and all was well until a very large wiggle during "stacking" and had to drop off.luckily without falling or hitting anyone else.
    Not rubbed vinegar or spirit into them yet and im due to join in with the vets on friday to gain track time and ecperience before i embark on accreditation test.
    I bought wheels (expresso deep rims) which came with kendas and i hope that they will be okay now ive got them down to acceptable level.
    Fingrrs crossed and i will be asking lots of questions and advice on this issue ftiday
    Regards
  • Got Kendas on my track bike, never felt 100% comfortable with them. At Newport, last couple of times i've been, there is a 'bump' on the bottom bend (where you sit when not on the track) approx. 12" above the blue line about 1/2 way round which is a bit disconcerting when you go over it.
  • Rubbed surgical spirit in them gave them a good sand no grip really showing hopefully today will prove to be the trick