Another Newbie

MAWR
MAWR Posts: 5
edited April 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi all, yes another newbie saying hello and glad i've found this forum as it certainly seems helpful for all levels.

Recently got roped into a local off road ride with my more experienced mate and his Orange Five, compared to me using my missus Raleigh Ladies bike from halfords. :oops:

But even though i looked a bit of a girl i could tell i would love to do itproperly.

Since then i have bought a CUBE Attention 08 Disc, which has been great so far :D (anybody had one for a longer duration???)

Still learning to handle the bike, so my first question is - Any beginner tips for offroading that is a must?? technique, kit & bike maintenance after etc..!

thanks for any replys
Rock-on!!

CUBE Attention 08 Disc

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Get some decent tools, cleaners, oils and a good book. Keeping it clean and maintained will help the bike last so much longer!
  • MAWR
    thanks for the reply

i have got WD-40, Dry Bike Lube, some tyre levers and some spare tubes/repair kit

currently looking at other posts on here about tools to get.

Any books to recommend??
    Rock-on!!

CUBE Attention 08 Disc
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd go for Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance: good diagrams and easy to follow.

Decent allen key set is essential, and those toolsets from Lifeline and Lidl are great value.
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    A set of needle-nose pliers can be really useful for trail repairs. Some good breathable clothing and a rain jacket too.

You'll find an endless list of stuff you "need" you'll just have to pick what you think is most relevant to you. Riding in a group always helps as it usually means between you, you have just about every tool you could need :lol:
  • MAWR
    Thanks for the tips all. Much appreciated. will loook for the book and get pliers.

Funny enough i went out on a quick hour loop by the house last night and clipped a log that knocked my derailluer system off-line and then got a pinch puncture.

luckily my riding mate had a Lidl multitool to re-adjust things and with the spare tube i had i managed to get home without to much bother!

I feel i've been deflowered in that area of MB now. :shock:
    Rock-on!!

CUBE Attention 08 Disc