Clipping into Time Pedals

jangle
jangle Posts: 114
edited April 2009 in Road beginners
Anyone got a fool proof technique for clipping into Time Xen pedals? I recently moved over from SPD's and am really struggling. I know you push your toe in and then push down as opposed to push from the ball of the foot but at best I get a 50% clip in rate. I even struggle when I am holding on to a chair and praticing at home!
I am considering going back to the SPD's as it is getting very frustrating. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    you will get better results if you push your foot vertically down, once you have located the retainer at the front. I clip into mine this way and never have any trouble. Pushing 'down and forward' like you would do with Look or SPDs does not really work well...
  • blim
    blim Posts: 333
    I second softlad. I have Time RXEs and pushing vertically down always works, but if I try the 'down and forward' technique I always misjudge the position of the cleat. Maybe just me tho! :D
    kop van de wedstrijd
  • HenryS
    HenryS Posts: 104
    Practice makes perfect :P
  • Massimo
    Massimo Posts: 318
    I third softlad and second blim! I've got RXEs which are similar to Xen, and a foot straight down action is the only one to go for... :wink:
    Crash 'n Burn, Peel 'n Chew
    FCN: 2
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    It's not just me then! I have recently switched from Look to Time. While the knee pain I was having has now gone the pedals are a bugger to get clipped in to. Will have a go at the pushing down technique.
  • Garrigou
    Garrigou Posts: 145
    Pretty sure it's just practice and familiarity. I switched from Shimano a year ago and was definitely 'faffing' for a couple of weeks. The Times can be a bit more prone to getting bunged up with the odd small stone caught in the cleats, but 99% of it was just getting used to the positioning of cleat to pedal.
    Hope you get sorted.
    Between me & Eddy Merckx we've won pretty much everything worth winning on a bike.
  • jangle
    jangle Posts: 114
    Thanks for the advice, will try the suggestions. I thought it would be a couple of weeks before I got the hang of it, like it was with the SPD's but it seems to be longer. Thinking of using the SPD's to commute with and the TIme for the pleasure rides as by the time I have clipped in to the latter I have to unclip for the next lights.. Either that or MTFU as the commuting forum would say :)