any alternative to planet-x, carbon wheels?

placid casual
placid casual Posts: 23
edited April 2009 in Amateur race
i was planning to spend this year's cyclescheme voucher on a pair of planet x carbon wheels (82/101) for time trialling but now they longer deal with cyclescheme, i may have to look elsewhere.
are there any similarly priced alternatives?
anything at all similar seems to cost well over £1000.

Comments

• Rhods
    Rhods Posts: 400
    Someone else may know for sure, but I'm not convinced you can just buy wheels with a cyclescheme voucher - i was under the impression the "spend" had to include a bike.

Accessories are obviously allowed, which would include a wheel upgrade i'd presume, but i don't think you can get just the wheels.

Anyone care to verify?
  • it generally depends on the shop.

literature from cyclescheme doesn't specifically say that you can't. the quote and application will mention a bike but for the sake of the voucher and the payment, it can be anything.

i administer the scheme for my company and we have done 60-odd in the last year - about 10% have been for things other than what was stated
  • Rhods
    Rhods Posts: 400
    Ah, the advantages of having a cyclist running the scheme!

Afraid I don't know enough about wheels to help but they're discussed fairly often so you may find some info through searching.

Regards
  • Try Mavic Cosmic Carbone's - the standard version are around £650 a pair and are super strong and light.
  • ridleydan
    ridleydan Posts: 52
    Steve,
    where can you get them at £650 a pair. I have been looking round and might be interested. These are the clinchers I presume?

Thanks
  • Yep clinchers. I had them on "watch" from chainreaction cycles where they were going for around that price. You could also try climb on bikes in Hereford and Echelon cycles, they might be close....
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Try phoning sheffield cycles - they had carbones quite cheap a couple of months ago - I ended up getting some 2nd hand carbons instead but they were the best deal I found.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    Try www.wheelsmith.co.uk

He built me a pair of the Gigantex 50mm rims (same as the Planet X ones) on Joytech Superlight hubs with CX Rays. Very light and very stiff. He fitted Veloflex Carbon tubs as well - all for £475!
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!