Whats the Toughest climb within 15-20miles from harrogate

jards666
jards666 Posts: 18
HI
Im looking to do about 30 -40 today (if the weather clears up a bit anyway :x ) or tomorrow, and i want to try one of the bad boys if possible.

My furthest distance to date is about 25 mile but this is more to do with time/wife constraints than my fitness. So im pretty sure i would have no real dramas with 30-40 miles.

any suggestions on which climb to take in?
CHEERS :lol:

Comments

• Try Peat Lane out of Pateley Bridge. Follow signs through town to Grassington, and take left soon after passing garage on right and before the start of Greenhow Hill. Then take 2nd right after about quarter of a mile. This runs parallel with Greenhow Hill on a virtually traffic-free lane and rejoins near Greenhow village at the top. One of my favourites. Enjoy!
  • nasahapley
    nasahapley Posts: 717
    Also in the Pateley Bridge 'hood and just about within range is the climb from Lofthouse (carry on up Nidderdale from Pateley) up to the top of the Moor - I've only ever been down that one but there's no doubt it's a tough climb (double chevron on the OS map!). I'll have to have a go at Earthdreamer's recommendation at some point too; I've only ever gone up Greenhow Hill out of Pateley - good climb but usually a bit too much traffic.

The Cow and Calf out of Ilkley and Langbar Hill out of Beamsley are good 'uns too.
  • jards666
    Cheers i was up pately bridge way on monday but i turned back towards harrogate at summerbridge and the climb from dacre to menwith hill caught me a little bit by surprise.
    I think im pretty crap at climbing but want to take in the tougher climbs so ive got a better idea just how crap i am :wink:
  • If you could get as far as kettlewell you could give Park Rash a go. Somebody told me that they used to use it for the national hill climb championship in the 90's.

Langbar is a good one, but don't be fooled by the steep first section it really gets going after the cattle grid. Norwood Edge on the north side of Lindley Wood resevoir is another favourite of mine, but there are plenty of corkers north of Otley.

Have a look at this old post -

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... ight=otley
  • jards666
    nasahapley wrote:
    Also in the Pateley Bridge 'hood and just about within range is the climb from Lofthouse (carry on up Nidderdale from Pateley) up to the top of the Moor - I've only ever been down that one but there's no doubt it's a tough climb (double chevron on the OS map!). I'll have to have a go at Earthdreamer's recommendation at some point too; I've only ever gone up Greenhow Hill out of Pateley - good climb but usually a bit too much traffic.

The Cow and Calf out of Ilkley and Langbar Hill out of Beamsley are good 'uns too.

i ride from penny pot lane(AFC) so pately bridge is a nice little point to for me to aim for then ive still got a few miles past if i feel up to it.
    ive absailed from the cow and calf that was good.....not
  • jards666
  • Steve GT
    Steve GT Posts: 383
    Try this route. Some tough climbs for you:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2729436
    Crediamo in te, bici!
    My Bikes.
  • jards666
    cheers steve i could do that and turn left before point 16 to take in the peat lane climb
  • Steve GT
    Never done that, as I normally would go up the Greenhow Road, so I will have to try that one as well.
    To me Church lane, which is the left turn in Pately Bridge, is ultra tough.
    Crediamo in te, bici!
    My Bikes.
  • Yorkman
    Yorkman Posts: 290
    Steve GT wrote:
    Never done that, as I normally would go up the Greenhow Road, so I will have to try that one as well.

Is that the first climb of the dales grimpeur?

ie heading out of Pately Bridge, away from the river and up the high st, as the road bends right at the top to head towards Knaresborough, you take a left and up a single track road?

If so, it is indeed a nasty one, and a great way to start a long ride, hitting that in the first 200m.
  • Steve GT
    Yorkman wrote:
    Steve GT wrote:

Is that the first climb of the dales grimpeur?

ie heading out of Pately Bridge, away from the river and up the high st, as the road bends right at the top to head towards Knaresborough, you take a left and up a single track road?

If so, it is indeed a nasty one, and a great way to start a long ride, hitting that in the first 200m.

Yep, that's the one!
    Crediamo in te, bici!
    My Bikes.
  • GAWOOD
    GAWOOD Posts: 36
    They are all really good climbs suggested. I find Peat Lane out of Pateley harder than going up the main Greenhow road but it is a lot quieter for traffic. You can then get a nice run down from Greenhow village down to Blubberhouses or left back to Menwith Hill.

I never knew the other one out of Pateley was called Church Lane. Don't think I've got up that one yet!

Steve GT's suggested route is pure evil.......