air horn

Comments

• gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    You can also win a blue at Tabland university for being on a rugby pitch being beaten to a pulp by a group of talented sportsmen... and by watching rowing boats go past... now, a Dark Blue, that's a real achievement.

Nice Saabs too.

Oh and airhorns: a bit excessive and just not cricket.

Taekwondo? Taekwondon't. Nobody's impressed by capitalised Korean. However the World Taekwondo Federation do have some amusing initials.

+ 1 on the Saabs - My dad had one when I was a nipper.

-1 for Cambridge bashing! I did only last 3 months before becoming bored of learning Latin and Ye Olde English.

+1 for Linsen, not sure why, but +1 anyway....!
  • its called banter linsen :o i ve done the whole cycling up behind people with extending leads for there dogs and the majority hold there dogs or move them out the way on the cycle paths , but the whole point of this thread is i have bought a new boardman comp for the road (it came with a bell )and the past few weeks ive had numerous car doors opened on me {i rung the bell they didnt hear it} a drunk in the road doing star jumps !!! and a buckfast bottle thrown at me this is the very reason i bought a air zound for the bike to prevent an accident . thing is since ive bought it i have had no reason to use it .
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    Aah banter.

Sorry, I didn't realise you were actually being friendly - so hard when you can't see the glint in someon's eye, eh?

:wink:
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    ...and a buckfast bottle thrown at me this is the very reason i bought a air zound for the bike to prevent an accident
    Presumably the sound shatters the bottle in mid-flight? Maybe the 'mericans should install a massive one of these in eastern Europe.
  • Rockbuddy
    Rockbuddy Posts: 243
    linsen wrote:
    NB Mountainroadie if you continue to be so rude you may well be banned - you didn't used to be called Spitchips did you?

Funny for a second there I thought you were someone else as you have the same avatar as Always Tyred. Could get quite confusing :wink:
  • linsen
    do I? Oops, so I do.

Well, did anyway :wink:
  • Rockbuddy
    Rockbuddy Posts: 243
    Well that's definately different :shock: :wink:
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    linsen wrote:
    Aah banter.

Sorry, I didn't realise you were actually being friendly - so hard when you can't see the glint in someon's eye, eh?

:wink:

To be fair to Mountainwhathisface, If I was forced to ride a Boardman Hybrid on the "lomond hills" "every weekend" I'd be angry too.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    gtvlusso wrote:
    been cycling to work for 14 years on various mtb"s but ever since i bought my new c boardman hybrid it has turned me into some kinda commuting psycho .......
    dog walkers,
    pedestrians,
    people in parked cars who open there car doors just as you are passing,
    beware i got an air horn 90db strapped to my bike you can buy these for bikes they should be illegal but they are great fun :lol: you sound like a feckin train

Let that off next to my little kids or puppy and I will tear your head off and sh1t down your throat.......Irresponsible idiot.

So much hostility :shock:
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • mattybain
    mattybain Posts: 115
    dilemna wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    been cycling to work for 14 years on various mtb"s but ever since i bought my new c boardman hybrid it has turned me into some kinda commuting psycho .......
    dog walkers,
    pedestrians,
    people in parked cars who open there car doors just as you are passing,
    beware i got an air horn 90db strapped to my bike you can buy these for bikes they should be illegal but they are great fun :lol: you sound like a feckin train

Let that off next to my little kids or puppy and I will tear your head off and sh1t down your throat.......Irresponsible idiot.

So much hostility :shock:

+1 on that, there is no need for that level of hostility on any message board.
    26km each way commute on a Decathlon Comp 1 2006 Road Bike

2009 Communting Totals - Car 112 miles Bike 2,765 miles
  • linsen
    Moderator - I wonder if this thread ought to be locked now - I think probably enough has been said.....

Now let's all be nice to one another. The sun is shining, the birds are singing and the clouds are nice and fluffy :D
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    linsen wrote:
    Moderator - I wonder if this thread ought to be locked now - I think probably enough has been said.....

Now let's all be nice to one another. The sun is shining, the birds are singing and the clouds are nice and fluffy :D

You see what happens - you play rough and then Mum comes along and stops all the fun.

Champ's not been back gabbling Klingon or giving us more detail on his very impressive trophy cabinet. I for one was looking forward to his blow by blow account of his Nobel Prize for fighting and hearing about how he binned Kelly Brook for eating toast in bed.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • gtvlusso
    LoL! Yeah, cryin' kids and a puppy trying to escape next to a busy road is no picnic, I would be "Emotional" with the offender with the air horn........Point taken on forum etiquette, shame people cannot see your emotion/body language as you type.... :lol:

I always think of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8Nf1MK7lts

As I type....or make love, no, hang on..... :shock:
  • gtvlusso
    The above link is quite offensive......be warned!
  • bluesacs
    bluesacs Posts: 95
    gtvlusso wrote:
    I always think of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8Nf1MK7lts

As I type....or make love, no, hang on..... :shock:

I always knew you wouldn't give a reach around to somebody with an air horn.
  • nielsamd
    nielsamd Posts: 174
    Clicking on this thread was like accidently walking into the bar in Star Wars.

And now I can't get that music out of my head.
  • To be fair to Mountainwhathisface, If I was forced to ride a Boardman Hybrid on th
    e "lomond hills" "every weekend" I'd be angry too.[/quote]

i got a trek elite 9.9 for that dude :D
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    edited April 2009
    To be fair to Mountainwhathisface, If I was forced to ride a Boardman Hybrid on the "lomond hills" "every weekend" I'd be angry too.
    I got a trek elite 9.9 for that dude :D

The prosecution rests.
  • just put it on pinkbike .com if you wanna take a gander 8)
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    GarethPJ wrote:
    Did that two-stroke Saab have a free-wheel? I drove one like that, which my friend owned; my mate only mentioned the free-wheel when I was entering a corner too fast and it was not slowing! I needed an air horn that day but had to improvise.

The freewheel was IIRC selectable with a push pull lever on the dash. The two stroke had cack all engine braking anyway so you didn't miss it that much, the Taunus derived V4 had plenty and I've seen people panic brake when they accidentally select freewheel.

The freewheel was I think introduced to make the car less likely to skid on that hard packed Scandinavian snow, but it lead directly to the left foot braking style of driving that made Scandinavians such a force in rallying.

I know this is completely digressing, but it's such a pointless thread anyway.

The freewheel was a push/pull rod in the middle of the footwell, useful to warn passengers not to touch it.

One of the claims was that it was to provide better fuel economy, which is negligible. The real reason was that 2 stroke engines will seize up if allowed to engine break or run too slow (Oil and Petrol Separate).
    They kept them in the V4's for the economy lie, finally being dropped in the late 70's when the 99 gained a 2L engine.

One thing it does save is the need to have your gear change between braking and turning in, with a column mount gear change you need that flexibility!

hm cycling, damn its gone dark :(
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • GarethPJ
    GarethPJ Posts: 295
    It's just come to me that the thread title adequately describes the OP.

P.S. Isn't beer brilliant?
  • moonio
    moonio Posts: 802
    Has all the willy waving stopped now? :lol:
    thanks for this thread, it just reminded me to fit my Airzound :D
    The thing is so f'ing loud though, however...after my commute this morning when 2 police officers decided to aggressively drive into me from a side road where they had been stationary UNTIL THEY SAW ME CROSSING THE JUNCTION I fully intend to use it instead of the verbal warning of 'W*NK*R and visual warning of 'showing them the finger'
  • moonio wrote:
    Has all the willy waving stopped now? :lol:
    thanks for this thread, it just reminded me to fit my Airzound :D
    The thing is so f'ing loud though, however...after my commute this morning when 2 police officers decided to aggressively drive into me from a side road where they had been stationary UNTIL THEY SAW ME CROSSING THE JUNCTION I fully intend to use it instead of

the verbal warning of 'W*NK*R and visual warning of 'showing them the finger'

thats what i was trying to get across to these people if you see it coming let of the horn and the sound of it may just stick in there minds
  • GarethPJ
    thats what i was trying to get across to these people if you see it coming let of the horn and the sound of it may just stick in there minds

More likely they'll just give you the finger. I'm fully aware that the law states that a horn (or bell) should be used only as a warning of your approach and not as a rebuke, however common usage has meant that it is almost always received as a rebuke so in the vast majority of cases it will not fulfil its intended purpose.

Furthermore as I understood it you have previously suggested that you use the horn as a means to make people get out of your way. That's not what you are saying now.
  • doog442
    doog442 Posts: 370
    'I'm fully aware that the law states that a horn (or bell) should be used only as a warning of your approach '

when is the exam :?:
  • GarethPJ wrote:

More likely they'll just give you the finger. I'm fully aware that the law states that a horn (or bell) should be used only as a warning of your approach and not as a rebuke, however common usage has meant that it is almost always received as a rebuke so in the vast majority of cases it will not fulfil its intended purpose.

Furthermore as I understood it you have previously suggested that you use the horn as a means to make people get out of your way. That's not what you are saying now.

no i dont blast an air horn saying get out my way thats the way you take it :?
  • +1 to dooog442
  • GarethPJ
    no i dont blast an air horn saying get out my way thats the way you take it :?

Sorry. It wasn't you, I was getting your post confused with somebody else's. :oops:

The fact remains, however, that most road users will always view the use of the horn as a rebuke. I once had an eejit try to pick a fight with me when the guy behind me sounded his horn at a car turning right across his path. Eejit in front thought it was me and came over ranting "what's your problem!"
  • cool man 8)
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    I used to have an airzound on my bike but took it off because I used it so rarely (plus it looks kinda dorky!). There's the occasional time when I miss it, like when I'm on one of those cycle lanes that go the wrong way down a one way street and cars turning right don't expect you to be there and just pull out without looking right. I've had it happen on 2 way streets as well, the look right, see a bike in the distance, look left then pull out. Little do the realise that by the time they've checked left I'm already at the junction. That's when an airhorn is useful to let them know you're there. In an ideal world car drivers would look where they're going but the odd few don't! but like I said, I don't use the horn any more because I've learnt to expect these things.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010