General new guy advice

nickoedwards
nickoedwards Posts: 19
edited April 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi! After many many years I've bought myself a new mountain bike... a Giant XTC. Firstly, did i make a good choice? I've used it once or twice so far in a forestry near my house. I am loving it so far and i'm sure i'll get better with confidence.

I have one query, when i'm standing up on the bike to cycle up hill I'm finding the rear wheel is loosing grip - am i doing anothing wrong? What is the correct technique for climbing a steepish hill?

Finally, is there anything else you recommend i purchase for my new bike?

Nick

Comments

• If you're loving it you chose well! It's a good make and model.

Up steep hills is all about technique, if your rear wheel's slipping you need more weight at the back, you're probably leaning forward, which is natural, but not helpful - problem is you also need weight over the front wheel to stop that coming up too.

Have a look at some of the technique sections on th website and practice getting your position right.
    Be happy, communicate happiness.
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    You'll probably find it less tiring to climb in low gears and stay in the saddle. It keeps your weight on the rear tyre and the higher cadence is more efficient (did I just say cadence? :?) then you can get out of the saddle for really technical stuff or when you need a quick burst.

As SH says, "I am loving it so far" says it all, you've made a good choice! If you have a bit of cash to spend on biking I'd suggest treating yourself to new kit rather than spending on the bike (it's new, so unless you're unhappy with anything let it be for now).
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    I have one query, when i'm standing up on the bike to cycle up hill I'm finding the rear wheel is loosing grip - am i doing anothing wrong? What is the correct technique for climbing a steepish hill?

Sit down and change down!!

Standing on the pedals is fine for a quick burst , but isn't as efficient as sititng down and spinning the pedals. A common mistake with newer riders is to try to mash too high a gear - you need to keep those pedals spinning so change down a gear!

You need to keep you weight balanced between the front and rear wheels to stop the front rising or the back breaking traction. Keep your hands on top of the bars and your elbows tucked in.
    Finally, is there anything else you recommend i purchase for my new bike?

Nick

Some basic tools, a pump, spare inner tube and a backpack are all good investments.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    yeah gets a bit tricky if you spin out in a tight spot, like me today riding along a bumpy ridge with a 1-2 foot drop on one side, slip wobble oooh eek but i dismounted ala gym bars and landed on my feet, felt like flinging my arms out waiting for a score :lol: would'nt have happened if i was in a lower gear spinning up it.