Camelbak or a bottle

James23
James23 Posts: 113
edited April 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi Guys

What do people prefer, ride with i am thinking of getting at some point a camelbak but dont wanna get a exspensive one or know what to get any ideas\help.

Cheers

James

Comments

• rudedog
    rudedog Posts: 523
    Depends how long and hard you ride for and how hot it is !

You can get a hydration pack from Tescos for a tenner - same price as a bottle + cage but will hold much more.
  • shogunsteve
    shogunsteve Posts: 209
    I prefer a bottle as its cheaper to buy and replace, plus the cleaning is easier.

But I have both...one for short rides and one for all day type stuff.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    I prefer a camelbak type setup.

Also cleaning is zero problem - just rinse it out once and pop it in the freezer until you next use it.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • shogunsteve
    shogunsteve Posts: 209
    Daz555 wrote:

Also cleaning is zero problem - just rinse it out once and pop it in the freezer until you next use it.

Well thats amazing.....I have never had such an easy experience with camelbak...I have always ended up having to clean the pipe and soak it in camelbak cleaner etc etc
  • King Donut
    King Donut Posts: 498
    rudedog wrote:
    That sums it up really.

1-2 hour easy ride I take the bottles. Anything longer and I'll need more, so take a pack.
    This is a generalisation, but I factor 500 ml (1 bottle) water for every hour riding.
  • Short blast then it's a bottle, with a multi-tool/emergency kit/micro pump in a pocket. Anything more then it's camel back with full kit and an appropriate amount of water, don't take 3 litres of water for a two hour ride on a cool day.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • Daz555 wrote:

Well thats amazing.....I have never had such an easy experience with camelbak...I have always ended up having to clean the pipe and soak it in camelbak cleaner etc etc

I've never had any probs cleaning my camelbak out either. The later ones have a big enough opening to get your hand in anyway and even turn it inside out.
    I never use a bottle any more, and you get a lifetime guarantee with a genuine camelbak.

Try a cheaper one first if you're unsure.
  • wilfus
    wilfus Posts: 78
    rudedog wrote:

You can get a hydration pack from Tescos for a tenner - same price as a bottle + cage but will hold much more.

The hydration packs you mention here have a 1.5litre water reservoir in them and 6 litre cargo capacity.

I got one from Tesco the other day for half price, £4.95. Can't go wrong at that price. It fits enough gear and water in for a shortish ride and you can always take a bottle with you as a reserve.
  • I never 'clean' my bladder/pipe, just let it have a soak filled with Milton every so often.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • Camelback, freezer, sorted.
    Be happy, communicate happiness.
  • Hydration pack for me.

Recently got one of these, top opens fully so you can clean it easily and ive left fluid in for a few days and its not left a bad taste or anything.

http://www.s2as.com/p/p-Dakine_Flowlock_Reservoir_70oz_2009-695.aspx
  • -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    +1 of the Tesco hydration packs.

I've had one for a few months and is perfect. Can fit lots of other stuff in like tubes and a pump, phones, keys etc etc but I also fit a bottle and cage when I have longer days out.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Off road - Camelbak is the best. I just use water though as its easier to keep clean.
  • I use a Dakine Session pack and cant fault it really, a bottle is still useful though. Been meaning to get one myself for ages for short rides.
    2009 - Giant Trance X3

2011 - Focus Black Forest XT
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    More votes for the Camelback. As others have said get a cheap one first, I had a £ 20 one from Decathlon, only reason I bought a Camelback was because it was cooler :oops:

Bottles aren't so good (IMHO) because:
      They fall out of the frame and you lose them. They get covered in crud & cow poo. You carry them on the frame (apparently this makes the bike more difficult to handle, not such an issue if you ride like me, the bike's barely under control with or without bottles). You still need somewhere to store your multi tool, pump etc.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • REMF
    REMF Posts: 106
    i don't like weight on my shoulders, or straps restricting my breathing, so i use a fanny-pack with dual water bottles:

http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/produ ... 5666/N/987
  • iv got a gelbert 2 litre hydro pack. just the rite size small enough so you dont notice but big enough to put all wat you need in there. and at 17 quid its got the be a bargain. its also got a helmet net. smil line design.

very happy and deffo worth a look.
  • Interesting discussion .... I've been tossing about the idea of a hydration pack v.s a backpack with a water bottle.

I guess it's all down to preference on what the solution is, but quite clearly for longer rides, the camelbak makes more sense and is easier.
    -- Specialized StumpJumper FSR Comp (09) [for me] --
    -- Specialized Safire FSR Comp (09) [for the Mrs] --
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    One thing I've noticed is hyration packs do give you wind, like drinking through a straw, when I first started running with my hydrastorm S.T.R.I.K.E. Predator(by blackhawk a tactical product maker, has MOLLE loops to add pouches on easily and the bite valve is better than camelbak imo) I got a real intense pain in the left side of my chest, so minor panic then huge belch and pain goes away, panic over :roll: doesn't happen every time but it can so be aware.
    For my little half hour bike rides a 16oz nalgene bottle in my saddle bag and rest stop work well enough for now 8)
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Some bikes either don't have anywhere to keep a bottle, or if they do, it's in such a ridicilous place as to no tbe worth bothering.

Camelbak all the way.
  • REMF
    fanny packs allow you two bottles that you can use while riding.
  • Anonymous
    REMF wrote:
    fanny packs allow you two bottles that you can use while riding.
    Trouble is, I'd hazard a guess that over 90% of mountain bikers are men. Now, unless there was something seriously amiss with my biology education, men, generally don't have fannies :lol:
  • REMF wrote:
    Now, unless there was something seriously amiss with my biology education, men, generally don't have fannies :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
    -- Specialized StumpJumper FSR Comp (09) [for me] --
    -- Specialized Safire FSR Comp (09) [for the Mrs] --
  • And I've yet to meet a girl who can fit TWO bottles in :shock:
    Be happy, communicate happiness.
  • REMF
    lol fellas.

i use the american term to distinguish it from what we call a bum-bag:

• robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    REMF wrote:
    lol fellas.

"Word of warning, Fanny means your arse over there...not...your minge"

Keith, The Office, 2001.
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • Anonymous
    REMF wrote:
    lol fellas.

That, however, is a bum bag.
  • Anonymous
    And I've yet to meet a girl who can fit TWO bottles in :shock:
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: