Hardtail for returning rider, plus a bike for the wife

Scottie13
Scottie13 Posts: 4
edited April 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi All,

I am a returning off roader. It has been about 10 years since i have seriously ridden. I previously rode trails and XC on a Trek Hardtail (I think it was a 3000 or 3200).

I am looking to get a hardtail for myself, aiming to spend around £900. I currently have a serious crush on the 2009 Orange Evo8. I know it is not thought of that well on here, well more often than not other Orange bikes are recommended. Probably, I would expect to have the frame for a number of years and upgrade components as my riding improved.

Anyway, i would be interested to hear your views on this bike or any other hardtails you can recommend at that price?

I am also looking for a good hardtail for my wife. Probably aiming to spend around £500 on a men's bike (as she said women's hardtails feel a bit small). Any advice you lot can give would be appreciated?

Cheers
Scott

Comments

• For £900 you can get quite a way up the Genesis Core (bargains at Evans now http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gen ... gn=froogle) or Altitude range, British manufacturer like Orange, getting rave reviews at present. You can even get them in an orange coloured frame!

For the £500 budget, there are loads of options. MBUK has just done a £500 hardtail grouptest in this month's mag which would be a good read for you. Or if not, I think there's a "What Hardtail" sticky on this forum somewhere - probably in "Buying Advice".
    There is a time to surf and a time to wax your board.....

'09 Trek Remedy 8
  • Thanks for the advice.

I looked through the What Hardtail 2009 thread and it was really useful. Still can't find any mention of an Evo8 though.

Cheers
    Scott
  • this'll be the bike youll be wanting ;)
    http://www.boardmanbikes.com/mtbht/ht_team.html
    it is £850 and is the lightest 1st hand MTB for the money also has very good components
    Avid Elixir brakes, SRAM gearing, truvativ cranks and best of all RS Reba forks.
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Focus Black Hills
    Raleigh Chopper