Front derailleur help

topher9
topher9 Posts: 54
edited April 2009 in Road beginners
I recently bought a Scott Speedster S60 which I'm really pleased with - but some components are from Shimano's 2200. This hasn't really been an issue apart from the front derailleur which seems to be rubbish. It's very clunky when shifting for a start and doesn't seem to keep a constant position and therefore rubs a lot.

Basically, I want to upgrade it - as the frame is really good, the long-term plan is to upgrade the components as I go along. Given this, I am keen to upgrade it to the best compatible option. Anyone know what this is? It is a triple 8 speed so I guess the questions are:

Does the replacement need to be 8 speed? If so, this rules out a lot of options, certainly anything above Tiagra, and even then it would need to be an older version.
Bolt-on/braze-on - not sure I completely understand this to be honest.

What should I look out for? Would be great to get recommendations...

Comments

• iga
    iga Posts: 155
    Your front derailleur shouldn't rub or move position, check that it is adjusted properly. Front derailleurs don't have much to do so I don't think you'd get much benefit from upgrading and according to Shimano your stuck with 2200, although I can't see why any other triple front derailleur wouldn't work:

http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content ... le.html/01)%20Drivetrain%20Compatability%20Chart.pdf

Braze on or bolt v band on refer to how the derailleur is mounted, band on is a metal band that clamps round the seat tube, with braze/bolt on the derailleur is bolted to a small metal plate that is brazed to the seat tube.
    FCN 7
    Aravis Audax, Moulton TSR