Road vs TT frame

chunkycyclist
chunkycyclist Posts: 38
edited April 2009 in Road beginners
I would like to know whether you can build a road bike based on a TT frame. I know the TT frame heavier and the geometry is slightly different, but does it really make such a difference, particularly as many bike manufacturers are now producing aero road frames? Thoughts and experiences will be appreciated.

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    The main two differences are a steeper seat angle, and a shorter headtube - if you can live with them, why not use a TT frame?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • depends on the riding you do.
    handling may be less than ideal for crits for example.
    why not go the other way, an aero road frame and use it for TTs?
  • Steve928
    Steve928 Posts: 314
    The main two differences are a steeper seat angle, and a shorter headtube - if you can live with them, why not use a TT frame?

..and a slacker head angle and a longer front centre and shorter chainstays.

My TT frame handles like a barge - I wouldn't want to use it for other than going fast in a straight(ish) line.
  • Guys thank you. I have a 40 mile relatively flat and straight commute (A road) and I am therefore contemplating the TT frame, cost of the frame also plays a role I am hoping a TT frame is stiffer/stronger as I have gone through a number of bottom brackets (at 60-100+ quid each - ouch) and have now managed to crack my current frame. A Klein alu frame that had no mileage on before last year.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Don't even consider a TT frame unless that is what you will be using it for. It will never make a good road bike whereas you can make a reasonable TT bike from a road bike just with a set of tri bars. That is what I do for TTs. See below.
    http://martin.photium.com/photo2317674.html