Short and intense or long and steady?

Pik n Mix
Pik n Mix Posts: 39
edited April 2009 in Health, fitness & training
Hey ppl

I hope your enjoying the Bank holiday as much as i am :)

i normally ride about a hour before work pretty high intensity however recently i have been really enjoying the long (30+ miles) easy paced rides. Obviously i cant do a long ride before work because of time restraints so in regards to improving my fitness would i be better of keeping my high intensity morning rides or switching to riding in the evening where i can go out for longer?

Cheers PPL

PnM

Comments

• nottscobb
    nottscobb Posts: 147
    Pik n Mix - Do as your username tells you - Pick and Mix. Shorter high intesity rides will make you faster, longer rides will improve stamina. If you do some of each you'll soon get to ride faster for longer, plus the variety is more likely to make you ride more often which will definitely increase your fitness - just don't forget the importance of recovery days.
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    AS above.. Both will improve your fitness, just longer rides will increase your endurance fittness, and shorter hard rides your short term Cardio fitness.

Both are great... either is also great :)
  • Pik n Mix
    Pik n Mix Posts: 39
    Cheers for the replies guys :)

makes sense really so i shall indeed mix it up a bit, thunder and lightening threw my schedule a little this morning so i got an extra rest day.

PnM