Devils Elbow or not??

fto-si
fto-si Posts: 402
edited September 2010 in Tour & expedition
Not sure if this is the right section to post this in but here goes!
Just returned from a week cycling in South Wales and I am not sure if one of the clmbs I tackled goes by the name of Devils Elbow or not?
It situated south of Heol Senni on the way down to Ystradfelite on a road which leads off the A4215.
Anyone got any ideas?
I have some pics if anyone needs to see them to help identify.
exercise.png

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Post the pics anyway - everyone loves pics!
  • fto-si
    edited April 2009
    So how do I insert a photo?

Heres a link to a pic of the 'elbow' itself

http://s732.photobucket.com/albums/ww32 ... =elbow.jpg

and looking back down the climb

http://s732.photobucket.com/albums/ww32 ... devils.jpg
    exercise.png
  • rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    Dunno know, but mint bike!
  • FCE2007
    FCE2007 Posts: 962
    [drooling Homer]

Hmmm Storck

[/drooling Homer]
    Powered by Haribo.
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    I have come across that climb referred to as the Devil's Elbow.

There are others (not necessarily climbs)- eg near the Cairnwell in Scotland, near Newtown, or there was one on Dartmoor before the road was straightened.
  • trickeyja
    trickeyja Posts: 202
    Ahh, I've been there! Not on the bike though.

It's a steep corner, isn't it? I was on holiday here a few years ago and we walked to the summit of nearby Fan Nedd from the top of this mini pass (446m). I've never heard of it referred to as the Devil's Elbow.
  • fto-si
    trickeyja wrote:
    Ahh, I've been there! Not on the bike though.

It's a steep corner, isn't it? I was on holiday here a few years ago and we walked to the summit of nearby Fan Nedd from the top of this mini pass (446m). I've never heard of it referred to as the Devil's Elbow.

Yep, the corner is steep, once round the corner the climb is not to bad I found the approach harder. Great views from the top
    exercise.png
  • megilleland
    megilleland Posts: 786
    This pic on the Dragon Ride Wales website features the same hill. The caption reads Hill with No Name (Bryn Melyn). The zig zags shown here on map. Click on OS map for detail.
    The more you spend - the faster you go - the less you see.
  • fto-si
    This pic on the Dragon Ride Wales website features the same hill. The caption reads Hill with No Name (Bryn Melyn). The zig zags shown here on map. Click on OS map for detail.

Thats definately the hill in the pic, can't remember where I first read about the climb and it being called Devils Elbow.
    exercise.png
  • DaSy
    DaSy Posts: 599
    Only just came across this thread when looking for some pics of the Devils Elbow, and as it wasn't positively identified, I thought I would just add that that is definitely called the Devils Elbow.

i ride that quite often, and it is a beautiful climb.
    Complicating matters since 1965
  • Yes that is the climb sometimes know locally as The Devil's Elbow though on the map it is nameless.

I
    Sometimes you have to lose yourself
    before you can find anything.