Giant Defy Advanced 2

2»

Comments

• HonestAl
    HonestAl Posts: 406
    You'll be counting the hours. Wonder how long the Rabobanks will be around before they go out of stock. BTWI got a nice new (not at all shiny, quite a dull satin finish in fact, but very cool IMO ) Planet X Pro Road Ti delivered yesterday :D I feel like a big kid and just don't know what to take out tomorrow :D
    "The only absolute statement is that everything is relative" - anon
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    Git!!! I want a Ti bike!
  • HonestAl
    So did I :) I'm amazed that the local purchasing committee (aka the missus) let me get one so soon after the TCR. If you're interested I'll put something on here tomorrow re how I found it versus the TCR.

Git? Yep, I reckon that about sums it up ;)
  • guilliano
    Fancy making a quick insurance claim on the Ti bike? I'll pay the excess........
  • HonestAl
    arf arf. Never know, it might be crap and you'll be glad you've not got one. Seem to have been reviewed well, and the hour or so I had it on the trainer yesterday gave me the impression the sizing was OK. Given I'm a long bodied short legged type I ended up buying the "racier" of the two Ti frames Planet X do (that geometry is akin to someone taller having a "sportive" ) which is sort of what I was looking for.
  • guilliano
    Awwwww.... I'm long legged and short bodied, so I may be a bit stretched, but then you are shorter than me, so with a lot of seatpost showing........

Where do you live Mr Honest? Maybe when I have got some miles under my belt and have some level of fitness back we could meet up for a ride
  • HonestAl
    I live near Cookham. PM me when you're on perhaps. Had a good ride on new toy today, gonna post a thread around caring for the finish later. Take a look :)
  • guilliano
    It's now in the workshop.... they'll be building it and bringing it up to me (fingers crossed) tomorrow so I can ride home. Shame I finish at 7.15 or I'd have been taking a nice little detour on the way home to try it out properly. Just have to settle for the 13 mile commute :)
  • HonestAl
    Cool, have to put some photos up on here for us to drool over!
  • guilliano
    Dagnammit!!! My bike came from the workshop to my shop at 6.50 this evening and I was with a customer so didn't have time to get it ready to ride home tonight..... but oh my god it's a sexy bike!!!!! I'll be riding it home tomorrow and will get some pics (but no idea how to post them.... it never works for me) for all to see. I didn't realise it had an ovalised seatpost and seat-tube..... just makes it look even sexier.
  • badhand
    badhand Posts: 115
    How exciting! Hurry up with the pics then. And the ride reviews...
  • HonestAl
    Come on, come on....
  • HonestAl
    actually if you can't post photos I reckon I can do it for you. Let me know if you want help

cheers
  • Bengdogg
    Bengdogg Posts: 383
    Yeah I'm dying here in anticipation! Reviews & pics asap!
    You just gotta peddle
  • guilliano
    Well the 14 mile commute from work to home is done..... and quicker than I thought for a fat man! 43 mins door to door..... and I am VERY impressed! The bike is so smooth, stable at speed and just begs to be ridden harder and faster. It inspires confidence on descents and makes me want to leave braking til the very last minute. I've never enjoyed the journey home so much. Will be out on Sunday for a proper ride, but if 14 miles is that easy then I'll be looking to do at least double that for my first proper road ride. Going to get pics onto Flickr in a bit so they'll be in my sig later..... if HonestAl can post them for me then even better! Thanks Al
  • HonestAl
    actually I was going to upload them into my flickr account then send you the links to the URL. Or I can link to yours for you. Let me know what you want to do. PM me if you want
  • guilliano
    Well the pic is in my sig link now.... do as you see fit my friend
  • HonestAl
    Owzat?

3471641686_97df7692dd_o_d.jpg

Very nice indeed, great buy, you'll love it. Keep the commentary coming
  • guilliano
    Thanks for that! I'm sorely tempted to get back in the lycra and head out for an evening ride, but I'm just going to savour the fact that I have it and wait til Sunday and Monday when I'm off work. Just have to resist the temptation to buy the 2008 Mavic Ksyrium Equipe wheels we have at work..... although they are sooooo tempting
  • HonestAl
    hah, well I intended to buy, and had budgeted for, an Advanced 1, which Giant didn't have in the UK when I bought mine. When I decided for the TCR 2 I thought I'd upgrade the wheels, and my LBS did me a stonking deal on a pair of Fulcrum Racing 1s. So go for it :)
  • Bengdogg
    Gigety gigety
    You just gotta peddle
  • guilliano
    OK..... second spin out on the bike today. Just a short one as the weather was foul and my bald head is sensitive to cold rain. 20 miles (ish) loop from home, some short climbs, but generally a steady ride just to get out on the bugger..... and I am now well and truly in love with this bike! I was amazed at how much grip the tyres had in the wet (Michelin Race Pro 3 25mm) and how smooth the bike is over bumps and pot holes when they couldn't be avoided (admittedly unweighting the bike helps.... MTB background kicking in). The best thing though is the stability at speed. On my MTB I feel nervous hitting 25mph on the road.... the bike just feels twitchy. On the Defy I was happy to keep pedalling down hills and managed to hit 40mph according to the Garmin.

I can seriously recommend this bike to anyone if they are long of leg and short of body like me..... or just want a relaxed riding position.
  • Bengdogg
    Sounds sweet! A bit of a bummer about the weather
    You just gotta peddle
  • guilliano
    How you getting on with the Madone? Is it really as comfy as C+ say it is?
  • Bengdogg
    yeah tbh i'm really pleased and blown away by it, I went out yesterday and did a smudge over 63 miles on it none stop and never felt any discomfort except for a little in the heel of my right palm after a long period on the drops (I always get this whatever bike I have a nerve that pinces so I give it a quick whack and it releases :) ) I think its the same boat for you really a good carbon frame to take the buzz out of the road and the riding position feels great not too racey that you feel beaten up but not so high you have a lot of drag. It's about perfect for the sportives and long jaunts like yesterday where i ride around villages untill i am lost then try and get back home before i run out of fluids :lol:
    You just gotta peddle
  • HonestAl
    sounds like it's been a good decision then. Glad you're pleased with it. Seems like lots of good buying decisions lately :) I love this PX bike I got last week

So, what's next on the list?
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Some pics of your Ti Road Pro from Planet X please HonestAl. And a ride report would be nice too! :lol:
  • HonestAl
    How's about this then giant mancp

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12618593&highlight=titanium

I'll pop a bit of a review of it at the bottom of that thread, including some interesting response I had from Linskeys :) See you over there :)
  • guilliano
    Next on the list is a Van Nicholas Euros..... or maybe a slightly racier frame.... but I know I want a Ti bike and I'd like it to be a VN as I have never seen one round this way. Does it make me a bike tart if i want exclusivity?
  • HonestAl
    I was thinking about a VN too, but looking at the geometry of the frames I reckoned I might have problems with getting a good fit. I wanted a compact style frame. PX were quite happy to send me a bike with the promise of a full refund if I wasn't happy. Of course the chances of me sending it back was pretty small...

And talking of bike tarts, I've never seen another PX ti around me, nor even a TCR Advanced for that matter..