help need please

meat
meat Posts: 90
edited April 2009 in Health, fitness & training
hi all I;am new to MTB. only just got my first bike 2 weeks ago..lol thing is i'am 41 now and want to give it a real good go. I have been a comp bodybuilder for the last 14 year. thats my prob i'am about 18 and a half stone. but not fat. i can lift a house but cant even run for a bus ..lol the bike i have got is a Specialized Rockhopper Pro will this be ok with my weight ???? and what would you say is the best thing to get my endurance up ??? thanks for taking the time to read this :-)

Comments

• militiacore
    militiacore Posts: 101
    Just treat it in the same way as doing treadmill work when you start your cutting phase for comps. Start slow and gradually build it up.

In terms of technical thats something that will only come with time and continued riding off road and you may find balance an issue at times as you'll be a little more top heavy compared to most.

Rockhoppers of old were pretty good and I imagine the newer ones to be the same. As long as you ride light and don't go smashing into and off things than it should see you good.
    Chas Roberts - DOGSBOLX
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    Meat, ideally you want to be getting rid of some of the bulk and that will only come with time.

HIIT (High intesntity Interval training) would be a good start point and then 45 mins nice easy mid heart rate pace.

so ... 2 mins flat out... 2 mins very slow.... 3 mins flat out... 3 slow.... 3 flat out.... 3 slow.... 2 flat out... 2 slow.....

Then the nice 45 mins mid heart rate pace.

You'll be then getting a bit of everything...
  • meat
    meat Posts: 90
    cheers for that lads.. i'am starting to get rid of a bit of size now. ( hard after training most of my life to put it on ) and i will start to give that HIIT a go as of monday ... once again cheers..
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    meat wrote:
    cheers for that lads.. i'am starting to get rid of a bit of size now. ( hard after training most of my life to put it on ) and i will start to give that HIIT a go as of monday ... once again cheers..

Do a bit more reading up on it too fella :)

i'm far from the Oracle of wisdom.