groupsets

gergusmcbergus
gergusmcbergus Posts: 57
edited April 2009 in Road beginners
hey everyone,
am new to the whole road biking thing, and was wondering if some kind person could help me clarify my understanding of groupsets.
i have read the wikipedia page, and understand what a groupset is (i think - all the technical parts of the bike such as gear leavers, brake calipers .etc) andthe hierachy of groupsets,but am a little in the dark as to what benefits an upgraded groupset would actually bring to your bike?
for example,what makes a shimano ultegra groupset better than the shimano sora groupset?
like a rolling stone

Comments

• rollin
    rollin Posts: 26
    There is clearly a law of diminishing returns as you go up the groups.

The differences are related to:

feel - shape of the hoods etc.;
    durability;
    weight;
    materials used in construction (all impacting above)

and, the not so important, "bling factor"!

I believe some lower groups are still 9 speed whereas the higher end ones are 10 (or even 11) speed. This gives you a greater range of ratios.

Personally I think the Shimano "sweet spot" as far as function and durability is 105. There is an element of yesterday's Dura Ace being today's 105.

In answer to your question iis "it depends". Whether to upgrade depends on what yous your bike for. I can't imagine any non-pro needing any more than 105. Some pros in Asia still use 105.

That said I have Ultegra on 2 of my bikes and DA on the third. Can't beat a "placebo fix" for my engine!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Shifting and braking quality improves too...
  • rollin
    rollin Posts: 26
    Yes, I did miss functionality out didn't I! :oops:
  • rollin wrote:
    There is clearly a law of diminishing returns as you go up the groups.

The differences are related to:

feel - shape of the hoods etc.;
    durability;
    weight;
    materials used in construction (all impacting above)

and, the not so important, "bling factor"!

I!

Its all about the bling baby :)