Travelling XC to achieve downhill.

HarryJ
HarryJ Posts: 11
edited April 2009 in XC and Enduro
I'm really confused about the massive line that seems to be drawn between XC and downhill, can somebody please explain why and how?

I own an XC bike and ride for hours on end beating the crap out of hills and seeking out the best downhill and trails. What sort of rider does that make me?

Also how do 'downhillers' get up to the top of their hill?

Cheers, and hi btw, im new here.

Comments

• All Mountain?
    I wouldn't get hung up on categories, they're all commercial bullcrap. just ride what you ride and enjoy it :)

Also how do 'downhillers' get up to the top of their hill?
    uplift... ie a cable car or in a van with bikes attached to the roof/back.
    or push i guess :lol:
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    I wouldn't get hung up on categories, they're all commercial bullcrap. just ride what you ride and enjoy it :)
    +1

It's all about the jumps, the bigger you go the more bulky bike you need.
    But because more bulky=more heavy, then you'll find out that 20kg bike is only
    usefull for going down a hill, and not for XC.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    How DH is your DH harry? DH for me involves big jumps, maybe upto 20ft long, large drop offs (some garage sized), car sized boulders.

Anything less may be down a hill, but not always DH that needs the artillery.
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    And don't bother about the what discipline you're riding.
    It's Mountainbiking. :lol:

And depend of what sort of jumps are you doing, aquire apropriate bike for that.
  • HarryJ
    HarryJ Posts: 11
    How downhill? As much as allows me to live while giving the most adrenaline back. Garage sized drop offs would kill me and the marin would snap in two. Not THAT downhill.. yet.
    'Mountainbiking' seems to be the best classification!

PS stacked it and got internal bleeding in my hand today, wicked.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Lol, well enjoy what you do, and hope the injury is not too bad!

But you can see why there is a difference between out and out XC and full on DH! I do the bit in the middle usually lol. Whatever that is.