105/Ultegra SRAM equivalent

jimcameron
jimcameron Posts: 199
edited April 2009 in Road buying advice
Hey guys,

I've been thinking about upgrading my groupset to either 105 or possibly ultegra if the price is right...but a mate of mine has been banging on about sram red's...does anybody know what the equivalent sram group to 105/ultegra's would be and are they worth it?

Cheers
Jim

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    SRAM Rival is far better than Ultegra
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I have Ultegra on my winter bike and Sram Red on my fancy bike.

I love the Ultegra but I agree with Red Dragon, Rival is lighter, looks better, the hoods are more comfy to my hands, it's the same price or cheaper and will be functionally just as good or better.

Go Rival!
  • 4kicks
    4kicks Posts: 549
    Ive got Rival 09 - its good, but cf Ultegra which I had beforeI think the differences are pretty marginal, although Rival is lighter. Dumping gears at the bottom of a sharp hill in a race can be a nighmare on Rival.

I personally think the fit on the hands and the price you get it for are the only real differentiators. Now, if you can get your Rival with Red coloured hoods, like wot I have, game over!

Theres been a lot said about Rival in a few other forums which is just bandwagon stuff and there is perhaps a tendancy to repeat as gospel
    Fitter....healthier....more productive.....