What MediKit

IronGiant
IronGiant Posts: 9
edited April 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi All, New Kid on the Block here (actually just like them, fatter and older and not as good as I remember being!)

I have just taken the plunge and ordered my first MTB in about 15years, not been on one in all that time (bar centreparcs!) I trawled around all different forums and review places and to say it confused the hell out of me is an understatement!! SO I finally plumped for a Giant Terrago 09 Disc, for £354 from Tredz, hopefully will be a good buy. Should be here in about a week so I will give you all the rundown when i get some miles on it.

So I will now be endagering my life, as well as anyone nearby as I battle the onslaught of manboobs and spreading waistline!!

If in the meantime you see some tall bloke wiggling about on a shiny new bike in Wiltshire, it may well be me!

So as a total newbie, if anyone else is in the same boat and not a million miles away, you are welcome to join me!!

what sort of stuff should I carry with me at all times? (like painkillers plasters and a hipflask!)

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    spray antiseptic
    multitool
    inner tube
    pump
    patches
    hydration pack (you need to carry some fluids)
    food
  • for med kit best things are:

spray on plaster/iodine solution for anti septic/blisters and all sorts.
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • spray antiseptic
    multitool
    inner tube
    pump
    patches
    hydration pack (you need to carry some fluids)
    food

Thanks!! nothing to complicated, does anywhere sell an all in one or do you have to buy seperatley?
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    IronGiant wrote:
    Thanks!! nothing to complicated, does anywhere sell an all in one or do you have to buy seperatley?

Gelert do some good basic outdoor first aid kits - the Travel Pak 2 (linky) is a good basic one. Comes in a handy little pack with a belt-loop too. I keep mine on the shoulder harness of my back-pack so it's immediately available. I've also supplemented mine with some decent dressings, a face sheild for resuscitation duties and a pair of vinyl gloves.

Note that antiseptic cream is actually one of the biggest sources of infection - you're better off carrying disposable antiseptic wipes and decent clean dressings.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    More importantly, have you got any first aid training?

It's far more useful to have the training than all the kit.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    IronGiant

Forgetting the First aid kit for just now. Helmet,golves, "camel back", mobile phone.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    I have just bought one of these as the contents of my old first aid kit were past their expiry date.

http://www.crestmedical.co.uk/modules/s ... ode=PROM04

I also have some Streri-strips that I picked up for a couple of quid on Ebay. I have never needed a first aid kit in the 5 years I have been carrying one but I would rather have it and not use it than need it one day and it not be there.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • GregChes
    GregChes Posts: 6
    More importantly, have you got any first aid training?

It's far more useful to have the training than all the kit.

totally agree...but then I am a first aid trainer. Having a kit is only usefull if you know what to do with it. Thats why i always teach people how to make do without one. That way if you have one your quids in. :D
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    superglue for gashes and duck tape for amputations :roll:
    Decent gloves will probably do you most good, But for the kind of injuries you can realisticly treat yourself, then stem, clean and dress wounds is about as much as you can do, so dressings. gause pads, sterile saline sachets etc..some parcetamol for headaches or inreased body temperature so you can get to safety and asprin for twists, sprains etc.. some zinc oxide tape will come in handy too for minor cuts, blisters, damaged fingers or to hold down dressings and don't forget some tweezers.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    favorite item in my medkit has to be the boots antiseptic wet wipes, great cleaning out scrazes and anti histimine cream for wasp/bee stings.