Specialized Stumpjumper HT Comp

muddylegs
muddylegs Posts: 485
edited June 2012 in MTB general
Does anybody own the above, if you do i would be very interested in your thoughts.
It seems to get good reviews but i am interested in the people who ride one, day in, day out.

Comments

• gcwebbyuk
    gcwebbyuk Posts: 1,926
    I do :) an 08 model - great bike :)

Although mine has been fairly well upgraded - not because it needed it - the stock kit is very good - just because I fancied spending some extra cash on it.

What sort of things do you want to know?
  • BOYDIE
    BOYDIE Posts: 528
    I owned an 08 for around 6 months,Beat the crap out of me on anything other than smooth XC.Very quick and light,not great for "normal" trail riding up here in Scotland,and flys up hill,it is an out and out XC bike.
  • my mate owns a spesh 07 and swears by it in fact hes been looking for a new hardtail and has come full circle and may buy the new comp hardtail . says a lot for the bike . they are good light ,strong , bikes that wont let you down . but there are a lot of bikes for a few hundred quid more that have better specs ..........
  • mounty
    mounty Posts: 682
    I have just bought the 09 comp about 3 weeks ago.....

I love it, nice and light and much quicker uphill, as said before its a XC bike and it can be hard work on the rough stuff, which its not really designed for....

The main reasons I bought one is lightness and to increase the milleage and get fitter. I'm use to riding Kona's which are considerably heavier.

I went to one of the spesh concept stores and tried one on for size etc, I was impressed by the lightness of it.

For the money and the ride of it I am very pleased with it, the only problem I am having at the moment is the rear Avid Elixir brake....

I see sooooooo many speshs where I ride and I have always steered clear of the brand, for fear of marketing etc, but after riding this stumpjumper, its changed my mind....

I just love the wishbone on the rear ! :)
  • Mickey Eye
    Mickey Eye Posts: 590
    I have an 08 HT as well, very quick bike but I'd say it doesn't like to go slow. It's my first higher end frame and first non steel so it took a bit of getting used to.
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    I have an 07 Comp and love it.
    Light, quite durable, understated.

Things I changed were:

Bars (for carbon)
    Pedals (I hate SPDs)
    Tyres (Fastrax Pros have all the grip of a polished mirror)

And other bits that have worn out but overall I love it.

They now come with Elixir brakes too - a worthwhile upgrade. Juicys work well but are a pain to look after.

P1000334.jpg
  • JoeC123
    JoeC123 Posts: 15
    I bought an 09 comp about 3 months ago now, and absolutely love it. Really nice and fast, racey feel to it.
    Also, Mounty: Is the problem you're having with the rear Avid Elixir that it makes an awful noise/makes the whole bike vibrate when breaking at speed? if so - Same problem here!
  • mounty
    Also, Mounty: Is the problem you're having with the rear Avid Elixir that it makes an awful noise/makes the whole bike vibrate when breaking at speed? if so - Same problem here!

Yes it is, the first couple of rides were fine, then it just started getting worse, now the vibration is awful.

Any idea what it is JoeC123 ?

I'm going back to the spesh concept store and question them about it...I cant ride it like that ! LOL
  • JoeC123
    JoeC123 Posts: 15
    Well, I've tried alot of things with no real luck, other than stopping the sound slightly.
    Anyone else had a similar problem?
  • mounty
    I am off back the concept store next week JoeC123....I will let you know how I get on and hopefully get the problem sorted.... mine is just soooooo loud !!! :D
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    Noisy brakes is normally a case of the caliper being misaligned.Loosen the caliper fixing bolts,pull on the brake and retighten the caliper bolts.This should repostion the caliper centrally in relation to the rotor.Also make sure your back wheel is aligned centrally within the stays when you replace it.

Might also be worth taking the pads out and cleaning them and checking all the rotors bolts are tight.

Not ridden a StumpjumperHT but have sat on one.

If you are considering one,be aware that they have a long top tube.I normally fit most 19" frame bikes easily but on the Stumpjumper my arms were locked rigid,so try and before you buy.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    Anyone who says anything along the lines of "your a sheep if you buy Specialized", or "you look like an advert for Specialized" has not tried any of the gear. I've had 3 Spesh bikes now, everyone AWESOME. Currently on a 2009 Tarmac (after a Big Hit, an Enduro). I've not purposely stuck the brand for clothing and shoes either, it's just that the kit fits me sooo well, and it's so comfortable, readily availible, and I like the understated colours, it's just been the sensible choice.

The 'Body Geometry' kit is some of the best fitting MTB stuff out there, and the bikes are so, so popular FOR A GOOD REASON!!

Also, at the Specialized Concept stores, they're offering 0% finance too :wink: 8)

So how about the next model up... :twisted:

You KNOW you want it :twisted: :twisted:
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • mounty
    Well said bigchazrocks ! :wink:

I'm guilty......I have always avoided Specialized for fear of good marketing etc and as a result I have never tried any of there bikes or gear...BUT.....

All that has changed now since purchasing/riding a stumpy from the B'ham concept store...... good friendly people, good service and advice, all sorts of kit in all sizes....what more can you ask for...

Next year I am thinking of going FS and I will certainly be testing out some spesh's...
  • wilksy1
    wilksy1 Posts: 5
    I have an 07 comp and love it! I found the spec good value and for XC it is light and quick although struggles on tough uphill trails. My friend who brought his bike at the same time has a Santa Cruz chameleon i cant keep up with him on the tough trails but on the XC trails he cant catch me. Great bike if you XC regularly!
  • glen4
    glen4 Posts: 250
    07 stumpy HT expert here, 2 1/2 years old, has done about 5000 miles, mostly offroad, am well pleased with my buy, and apart from the usual consumables (chains, brake pads, cassettes and chainrings), the bike has been pretty good, standard BB was shite, replaced with a shimano one which went bad again, so fitted a hope one a year ago, no issues since (even riding thro' a wet, sandy forest all winter). Also upgraded the wheels to Hope Pro 111 hope hoops when the freehub failed on the stanard wheels. Have serviced the (fox) forks twice, oil and seals. Upgrades on mine are:-

XTR SPDs
    Hope Pro 111 wheels\XT cassette
    Hope Bottom Bracket
    Thomson lay back seatpost
    Spesh Phenom Ti rail saddle
    Spesh carbon riser bars
    Nobby Nic/Racing Ralph Schwalbe tyres 2.1

The bike rides very differently on certain tyres, and changes it's whole perspective with whats fitted, it needs (IMHO) a full volume tyre to ride nicely, had 1.95 Pana Cinders fitted and it made the ride very harsh as described, the NN/RR combo as above in 2.1s make it a different beast altogether, and boy is it quick!!!!!!

I guess the question is would I buy another?
    answer:- when we finally get the cycle to work scheme off the ground at work (hopefully imminent), I'm gonna sell this one and buy a new 09, maybe even go for the carbon expert, Nuff said.............
    2009 Cove Handjob
    2009 Cove Hummer
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    mounty

I got mine from there!!

Definitely try the Enduro's, or the Pitch's out.

I had an older style Enduro (before they increased the travel), and it was AWESOME. I went literally everywhere on that bike.

The shocks were always perfect, never leaked. Bearings were still smooth after never changing them. Tough, light, bob-free sus design.

Why did I ever get rid of it :cry::lol:
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • Modric
    Modric Posts: 21
    i got the 09 model and love it. Took abit of time getting used to the aggressive riding position.
    I've changed the stem for a shorter one and changed the tyres for thinner ones just to see how they feel. My previous bike was a crap townsend so this was a massive difference.

3510463359_0caf6f9888.jpg
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Modric wrote:
    i got the 09 model and love it. Took abit of time getting used to the aggressive riding position.
    I've changed the stem for a shorter one and changed the tyres for thinner ones just to see how they feel. My previous bike was a crap townsend so this was a massive difference.

3510463359_0caf6f9888.jpg

Hello Modric, I am looking into buying a Stumpjumper in the sales later on, just wondered if your frame is 19" or 21" and does these forks comes with the bike? (how much travel on those forks in mm?) I am tall 6'4" myself and judging your bike frame, you must be tall too? cheers :)
  • Modric
    Modric Posts: 21
    hey

it's a 21'' frame, I'm 6'3. I sat on the 19'' one and found it abit cramped. but I'd recommend that you try both if you can.

forks comes with the bike and i think it's 90mm travel.
  • mounty
    I have been back to the spesh store today...and this is what they found....

There is a bolt on the rear disc rotor which is loose, its down to the thread (or lack of it) on the hub, its a manufacturers defect and will be replaced under warranty.

So they are going to rebuild and replace the hub in the wheel, so no bike until end of the week.

Just thought you might like to know. I did find a loose bolt and I did tighten it up, but due to the lack of thread it must have just wore itself out.

Might be worth checking your bolts. The noise on my bike was ruining the ride as it was so loud..!

Cheers,
  • mariecross
    mariecross Posts: 76
    Great great bike. Bought mine 2nd hand and only problem is I have snapped my chain 3 times? I ain't a jabba either! Looks very good clean, excellent dirty!
    However i ahve just upgraded to a Stumpy fsr Expert 2008 again 2nd hand, can't afford new......wish I could. :D
    Behind every successful woman is.......her bum!
    Read into that what you will :)

Trek Fuel EX 9.8 - Oozes fun
    Pinnacle Street - You gotta get to work!!
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    6'6" here and ride a 21". Old 2003 M4 beast, still absolutely rock solid though :)
  • glen_d
    glen_d Posts: 11
    Hi,

First post so please go easy on me!

I stumbled across this thread from a while back & was hoping for some thoughts from you guys please. I'm looking to get a new bike as my one now is a few years old & nothing special at all (a Muddy Fox 'Meltdown' (don't laugh!)) Last Sunday I cycled the London to Brighton bike ride for the first time & I am keen to get something better.

I have seen a Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 2007 on eBay. It's on for £400 (was £1,300 brand new apparently) and is by all accounts in mint condition - I've attached the photo.

I use my bike mainly to cycle to work. However, I love the look of this bike & do go for rides (sometimes off road but probably nowhere near to the level you guys do) on weekends.

I wondered if a) this bike sounds like reasonable value for money and b) if it would still be adequate/decent enough for cycling to work/around town etc? Any thoughts would be really appreciated.

Thanks!
    Glen
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Well, it was good enough to ride up and down mountains five years ago, so it should be able to cope with most potholes now. If it's on eBay, buy it through eBay/PayPal and insist on going round in person to collect it - if the bike appears in any way other than expected, walk away and get a refund.
    Also, the name has been around a long time, so it's instantly recognizable as an expensive bike. Some sort of lock would be in order . . .
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • glen_d
    glen_d Posts: 11
    Thanks for your reply Giraffoto.

The eBay seller also mentions "apart from very slight marking where brake fluid has got onto the caps of the brake fluid reservoirs I have no reservation whatsoever in describing this bike as being in virtually ‘as new' condition".

However, I cannot see any marks on the pictures. I've never had a bike withe disc brakes before so don't know a lot about them. Would brake fluid in the caps of the brake fluid reservoirs cause problems?

I do plan to see if I can see the bike before making a bid.

Thanks again.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Spesh seem to have gone almost all 29er this year. The old rockhopper had a problem with the rear brake mount causing vibration in the brake. I wonder if this is a similar problem?