All you lot kept this quiet!!!

Stokie
Stokie Posts: 80
edited April 2009 in MTB beginners
I'm a die hard footballer and love hitting the weights hard in the gym, i've done it pretty much all my life.
But what a BUZZ mountain biking is. I only really had a bike for fitness so i could do a bit extra after the gym but im hooked, i wish i picked a bike up years and years ago. I'm by no means anywhere near a decent standard to do any trails but i just cant stay on the road, at any given opportunity i can i'm straight off into the muddy tracks with a huge smile and adrenalin surging through my body. :D

Comments

• Spot on mate - I know exactly how you feel !!
  • Stokie
    How long have you been riding then geordiefreerider?
    I'ts only been about two months for me but i cant get enough of it, i'm out every day on it, its giving me the buzz i used to get from playing football and i never thougth i'd find anything that would do that.
    I think mountain biking is my new addiction that will keep me hooked for years to come.
  • Well I got my first mountain bike when I was seven so 20 years i suppose ha ha but didnt get into it seriously until i fractured my knee and both elbows coming off when i was 18, although it didnt put me off riding it certainly stopped me playing football or running or anything like that, so now i depend on my riding to keep me fit so i suppose its just as well i enjoy it ha ha !! I love it all, I love the technical aspect and maintenance of the bike and the fact you can be out in the country side without having to walk and have a bit of a adrenaline rush at the same time !! For me its my passion and I hope you come to feel the same way coz its a great sport with a good community, any questions no matter what it is or how daft it sounds to you, just ask on here and people trip over themselves to help you out, whereas in some sports you can come across a degree of snobbery towards "newbies" - hope you enjoy some good riding mate !! :D
  • Nik_B
    Nik_B Posts: 270
    Stokie wrote:
    I'm a die hard footballer and love hitting the weights hard in the gym, i've done it pretty much all my life.
    But what a BUZZ mountain biking is. I only really had a bike for fitness so i could do a bit extra after the gym but im hooked, i wish i picked a bike up years and years ago. I'm by no means anywhere near a decent standard to do any trails but i just cant stay on the road, at any given opportunity i can i'm straight off into the muddy tracks with a huge smile and adrenalin surging through my body. :D

Get down to a trail centre ASAP!! Purpose built tracks will have everything you desire and hundreds of metres of the stuff without those horrible anti-bike gate things! I took my wife to Llangdela twice last week and she did the red run both times. That was her first time at a trail centre and she's 40. She took it at her own pace and we had a blast.

Just do it at a pace you can handle and just enjoy!
  • GTi-R23
    GTi-R23 Posts: 175
    Nik_B wrote:
    Stokie wrote:

Get down to a trail centre ASAP!! Purpose built tracks will have everything you desire and hundreds of metres of the stuff without those horrible anti-bike gate things! I took my wife to Llangdela twice last week and she did the red run both times. That was her first time at a trail centre and she's 40. She took it at her own pace and we had a blast.

Just do it at a pace you can handle and just enjoy!

Thats what I like to hear, give us a shout next time you're up Llandegla fella, always nice to meet people up there, me and my riding bud have a blast
  • Stokie
    I read bits on this forum and to be honest i'm surprised how helpful people are on here, no matter how big or small people's questions are they get given a genuine reply to what they ask. Some fitness websites that ive been on are rediculous, if a noobie ask's a genuine question they get laughed at an mocked but on here everyone is helpful (oh and thats not me sucking up on here for when i need future advice :wink: )
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    :D Glad to hear you're enjoying it mate, what you riding?
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • Stokie
    Torres wrote:
    :D Glad to hear you're enjoying it mate, what you riding?

I've got a Klein but not overly convinced its the right size for me. Its still not ruining all the fun i'm having out on it though.
  • I also just got into cycling, courtesy of my new carrera fury :D Great fun, on road and off. I love those long, undualting XC singletracks! less injuring then downhill and trail but still great fun, and not so much hard to pick up technique to it! Simple as road riding (almost) but much better scenery!
    Giant XTC 3 2009
  • Especially when you ride past horse riders in tight jodphers, ah ya gotta love xc !!!! :lol:
  • yeah I'm not heavy into riding myself, just got into it after a recent weekend in the Lake District .... so landed up splurging on a Specialized Stumpy Comp and Safire Comp, but it'll be money well spent I believe
    -- Specialized StumpJumper FSR Comp (09) [for me] --
    -- Specialized Safire FSR Comp (09) [for the Mrs] --
  • Stokie wrote:

I'm exactly the same (gave up football etc), but maybe 3 months ahead of you. Now I'm out on a weekend doing off-roading and loving it..
    Off to the lakes in May to do a couple of days riding.. That's how much I've got into it. Great and keeps you fit!
  • Stokie
    It was a forced upon me to give up football, bad ankle injury now dodgy knees so i thought that was it pretty much stuck with looking at the same four walls down the gym amongst other things :oops: . The confidence is slowly coming with each ride, when i was 1st out it was like, i will never make that but now its how fast can i make it, its just pure exhilarating fun. :lol:
  • mongoosed
    mongoosed Posts: 315
    Yeah its good fun stokie,i took up mountain biking again in january after a long time off,but i ride every day now and loving every minute of it.
  • Stokie
    How come so many of you give up biking? is it down to the better half (under the thumb and all that) why it gets given up? i can understand why so many come back to it thought.
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    Nik_B wrote:
    Get down to a trail centre ASAP!! Purpose built tracks will have everything you desire and hundreds of metres of the stuff without those horrible anti-bike gate things!

Trail centres are great, but there's a lot to be said for cutting you own path too. Had a great couple of rides in Devon at the weekend, miles and miles of singletrack and moorland and beautiful views, ending with a short bit of cyclepath to the seaside, tea and cake by the beach and then back home through the woods. We barely saw anybody else on the trails and could stop for a breather and enjoy the complete silence and just watch the buzzards for a while.
  • Stokie
    Nik_B wrote:
    Get down to a trail centre ASAP!! Purpose built tracks will have everything you desire and hundreds of metres of the stuff without those horrible anti-bike gate things!

Trail centres are great, but there's a lot to be said for cutting you own path too. Had a great couple of rides in Devon at the weekend, miles and miles of singletrack and moorland and beautiful views, ending with a short bit of cyclepath to the seaside, tea and cake by the beach and then back home through the woods. We barely saw anybody else on the trails and could stop for a breather and enjoy the complete silence and just watch the buzzards for a while.

If that doesnt convince anyone to take up this sport/ hobby/ past time, then more fool them. Reading that i was almost doing the ride with you in my thoughts.
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    Stokie wrote:
    If that doesnt convince anyone to take up this sport/ hobby/ past time, then more fool them. Reading that i was almost doing the ride with you in my thoughts.

:D It was just one of those days where it all fell into place - bike felt great, I had loads of energy, weather was perfect..... Oh I want to go again now!