Winning Classics edition from 20 years ago

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited April 2009 in Pro race
An absolute legend on Podium Cafe posted this

It's about 50mb but worth it. I remember buying it back in the day.

Enjoy!
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    This was the first Winning I ever bought!

I mistakenly threw it away a long time ago but seeing the images again, it's great. I must have spent hours pouring over every photo alone. Without the internet, this was practically the only English-speaking source of coverage, Cycling Weekly as ever preferring to cover the Woodchip Clarion and District 25. You could look up the top-10 of the classics in the small print of The Times, Indy or Telegraph but would wait a month or two for Winning to analyse things. Today with the internet you get analysis and photos within minutes of the rider crossing the line.
  • I've still got some of those Winning Tour de France weekly 'newspapers' from 1986 onwards - anyone remember them? Luckily I lovingly saved them. The volume of coverage available today is just unbelievable compared to back then, though the well-written mags like Winning conveyed a romance that is perhaps missing these days.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    cheers Iainf....well worth a download
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,485
    Does anyone else remember the annual season reviews Winning magazine did, called 'The Fabulous World of Cycling'? I've seven of the eleven editions they produced and keep an eye out for the ones I'm missing. They provided analysis and excellent photos from all the big races.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    It was all a bit more mystical back then. I remember the result for the final TT of the 89 Giro appearing in the paper and seeing " 2nd G Lemond" and thinking WTF....

Around the same time a friend of my dad's sent me a pile of Italian cycling magazines and my eyes were on stalks. Practically telephone directory thick with loads of pictures and exotic looking articles.

But Winning was always a treat. I remember those reviews they did and think there might be a couple of copies of it at my folks house.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • winoneday
    winoneday Posts: 253
    I'd never heard of Winning before but that was quite something. The pictures, being a bit grainy and clearly not 10,000 megapixels, really sum up everything that is great about the Northern classics. I really thing the races look better in worse quality photos, would be nice to see what Tim de Waele or some of the other modern photographers could do if they experimented with older cameras a bit.
  • I might still have the original of that magazine in the attic. I wish I'd bought more of them at the time - maybe have a dozen or so mags stashed away. "Winning" that is. Erm.....

Page 17 of that pdf (thanks for the heads up iainf72) shows Delgado in his Time shoes. I still have mine, and remember (circa 1990) when wearing them with my new matching white and red Look pedals, and being frustrated that the girls weren't oooh-ing and aaah-ing at my clipless pedal status. Some things never change!
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    I collected all of these when I was a youngster and then back in the day when I quit the sport I dumped them all.... Th ebiggest mistake of my life.... A few years ago I set off on an eBay project to try to buy back all the magazines I dumped... After a few years and quite a fortune of money later, I have got a huge collection back. I have editions from 1984 right up to 1992-3.

I was thinking of picking select magazines and uploading classic articles onto my website. I am holidays at the moment andwas going to do this on my return.

Even though the magazine is now gone, a different publishing company still holds the copyright, so I am a bit cautious about that... But if i get enough requests on here I will post one or two on my site and see how it goes...

So, let me know if any of you out there have any preference for the one I should start with (that is if you can recall one...).. BTW I dont have the special edition Winning Tdf Newspapers that came out every week in the Tour..

Ed
    www.dotcycling.com
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    "Winning", the only real alternative to "The Comic" ("Cycling") in those dim & distant days of yore!
    Anyone remember "Pro-news"? And "Hans Groper" with his column?
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    emadden wrote:
    I collected all of these when I was a youngster and then back in the day when I quit the sport I dumped them all.... Th ebiggest mistake of my life.... A few years ago I set off on an eBay project to try to buy back all the magazines I dumped... After a few years and quite a fortune of money later, I have got a huge collection back. I have editions from 1984 right up to 1992-3.

I was thinking of picking select magazines and uploading classic articles onto my website. I am holidays at the moment andwas going to do this on my return.

Even though the magazine is now gone, a different publishing company still holds the copyright, so I am a bit cautious about that... But if i get enough requests on here I will post one or two on my site and see how it goes...

So, let me know if any of you out there have any preference for the one I should start with (that is if you can recall one...).. BTW I dont have the special edition Winning Tdf Newspapers that came out every week in the Tour..

Ed

Me, me, me......

The '84 classics edition (May, June?)with Kelly on the cover. Loads of good Roubaix coverage and a comment from Bobby Power about how Kelly actually spun (and smoked) his wheel in the dry accelerating after a break in a Carrick club race.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    LangerDan wrote:

Me, me, me......

The '84 classics edition (May, June?)with Kelly on the cover. Loads of good Roubaix coverage and a comment from Bobby Power about how Kelly actually spun (and smoked) his wheel in the dry accelerating after a break in a Carrick club race.

Dan,

I hope I have that one. but hold still a while... I dont get back home until next weekend and then it will take me a few days to get scanning. It that is one of the few I dont have, I will try to get some other classic Kelly edition :-)

Ed

P.S.

To Captain Fagor - As for the Time shoes... I can remember trying on a pair in 1990 when they started to become really famous (90% of th e peloton was sponsored by TIME!!!) but i couldnt afford them.. At the time thez were 60 irish pounds... Back then we also wanted the Oakley iridiums and a Reynolds TSX frame... oooh the dreams

There was a rider in our team back then, he was either a last year u-16 or a first year junior and he had a pair and an MBK frame (ala Fagor1988) and I remeber he always wore socks over the front oh time shoes... couldnt figure out why until a friend of mine told me that he had had the shoes for two years and wore them so much that his toes came out the front.... What a legend!!!

There was also a guy on our team who's dad had connections with the Histor/Sigma team and he was able to get 3 of those Diamante TSX frames.... oooooh the lust
    www.dotcycling.com
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Winning 1985, Autumn, Nissan Classic edition sticks in mind...Kelly's win, seskin hill and the TT stage carrick on suir-clonmel ...did all of the roads 2 years after in the Junior tour. Kelly went so quick in the TT I think he eliminated Van Vliet and some others who cruised it
  • emadden - I think I paid about £120 for my shows at the time. As a student, it burnt a big hole in my pocket. As did the Oakley Iridiums (luminous yellow, hinges now broken and apparently irrepairable, even by Oakley) and a Columbus SLX frame. Couldn't stretch to Dura Ace though.

Smokin'!! 8)
  • I have a copy somewhere of Cycling Weekly's '89 Tour preview and if you look in the back in the new products there is a review of some Profile aero bars! If only Fignon had picked up a copy...