gears for typical trails

blablablacksheep
blablablacksheep Posts: 1,377
edited April 2009 in MTB beginners
I looking to improve my gears and getting better at getting the right ones for the right time, so wondering as the poll said what gears you tend to use most and what gears you use for differant types of terrian, ie normal flat trail/uphill/downhill/tricky rooty terrian ect.
London2Brighton Challange 100k!
http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners

Comments

• Thats a bit of a open ended question, but generally try in keep in a stiff as gear as you can posssibly pedal, that means you'll be going as fast as your legs can cope with, i've tried getting into the habit of stomping up hills in a harder gear rather than being a lazy retard and dropping straight into the granny ring, as you keep riding you will notice your fitness and strength increase and hills you once struggled with will fall behind you with ease ! If you know what I mean.............
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I use them all! I try and pedal at a steady 90rpm on smoother terrain, so shift to the gear that matches it. For extra bursts of power I may select a harder gear and gun it, but the gears are there to be used.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    You have forgotten to include the getting off and pushing up a hill gear in you poll. Its the one I use most
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    I looking to improve my gears and getting better at getting the right ones for the right time, so wondering as the poll said what gears you tend to use most and what gears you use for differant types of terrian, ie normal flat trail/uphill/downhill/tricky rooty terrian ect.

The only "correct" gear is the one which feels right at the time and allows you to maximise effort. If it gets too much, get off and push.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    use them all.

the right gears are the ones on the bike now.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Most people naturally pick a too-high gear, it generally feels better to be stomping along but you mainly just wear yourself out fast. The tendancy is to pick a gear that feels like you're working harder, which is fair enough but actually, you usually want a gear where you're not working hard at all.

No 2 riders have the same length legs, same muscle development, same stamina or ride the same trails at the same speed, so really it's just what works best for you. I've found from experimentation that my brain's not to be trusted, so I always stay slightly lower than what feels really right, and it works perfectly.
    nicklouse wrote:
    the right gears are the ones on the bike now.

Unless you have a single speed of course :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Northwind
    still the right gear.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Not in my experience, it's almost always the wrong gear! Too low for descents, too high for my puny legs to climb. :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist