Can Somebody Help

Daviddaiant
Daviddaiant Posts: 2
edited April 2009 in Health, fitness & training
Im a 24 yo, ex smoker as of last week, I am incredibly unfit and really want to get into Mountain Biking. I went for a cycle earlier in the week, I managed 50mins (of which I think20mins were breaks) and I was absolutely wrecked.

Has anybody else been in this kind of situatuion?

Can anybody give me advise on getting fit, without spending £25 a month on a personal trainer and gym membership!

Comments

• Nik_B
    Nik_B Posts: 270
    Hi David

I'd just keep doing what you're doing. If that is pretty much the first time you've been out for a long time then I wouldn't feel too down. Get on google map plan a route that is managable and ride it 4 times over a week then increase the distance. When I first got back in to cycling I rode 5-6 miles then upped the rides to 11 miles and then to 15-16 and finally to 25 miles I managed to get up to doing that in less than 2 weeks so you'll be suprised at your progress! This was all on road and not off road as you'll find that much much harder.

More than anything enjoy your rides!

With respect to gyms I find all of that stuff pretty boring and I know I'll just give it up in the end but when you are 10 miles from home on a bike you can't just give in as you need to get home :)

Good luck mate
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    Daviddaiant

keep cycling.....as said, it wmight surprise you how quickly that fitness increases
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Yep, just keep at it! But be realistic and allow yourself time to recover- don't just run yourself into the ground.
  • Furkuk
    Furkuk Posts: 71
    24yrs of age, 50 min cycle ride :shock:

I thought I was unfit at 48yrs :D

Just keep cycling and you will improve :D
    Now the owner of a GT Aggressor XC 3
  • Dr_Death
    Dr_Death Posts: 1,262
    Keep at it, build up slowly, rest days are as important as training days (more so when you first start). Keep at it. Eat well. Don't bother with gyms (they are boring as hell). Keep at it.

Oh, and I'd remove your e-mail address from your signature if you don't want a million tons of spam on a daily basis.
    Steve

Trust me, I'm a doctor!

http://www.vimeo.com/DrDeath
  • GTi-R23
    GTi-R23 Posts: 175
    Yeah as said, keep at it, just don't push yourself too hard too soon, increase things gradually and fitness will come as long as you're patient, and committed.