Calling owners of 2008 Specialized Roubaix Pro

flyer
flyer Posts: 608
edited April 2009 in Road beginners
I bought the above bike last July and have only done around 400 miles.

A close inspection reveals that up front, under the fork (right below the steerer tube), there is considerable scratching running fore and aft. I would estimate that there is about 2 - 3 mm of clearance between tire and fork.
However I am not sure what is causing this to happen.

At £2500 this is not a cheap bike, has anyone had any problems with their bike?

Many Thanks

Ian

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Little stones get on the tyres, and if there's only 2-3mm clearance scratches will happen.

Tends to happen on most frames with tight clearances.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    The carbon rear bridge on my Scandium frame looks like a ploughed field. Nothing to worry about and nothing you can really do about it anyway (apart from fitting mudguards) as it is caused by stones picked up by the tyre and dragged undeneath.

The carbon round those areas is thick enough for it not to be a problem and I doubt if there is a bike in the world that won't have the same scratches.
  • flyer
    flyer Posts: 608
    Thanks for the feedback, I noticed a thread last year http://cyclingforums.com/t466026.html that had a problem and just wondered if this was an issue that would get worse?

I can get just about get my finger in between the tyre and the frame so not sure how big the stones would need to be?

Maybe its just not been finished off very well?

Cheers

Ian